Gear ratio of a yz and a wr

Hey I'm trying to find out the gear ratio on all the 5 gears on an 02 wr426 and the same for an 06 yz450. Both have a 5 speed. What's the technical difference

Uh O.... Here we go again! :ride:

I made a spreadsheet years ago when I had my 01' WR426. I'll see if I can find it this eveing and post it for you.

If you really need to know, you can look through the microfiesh (sp) and calculate the ratios to compare.

I'll let you know what I find at home either way.

Trail riding in northern arizona. Want a first low enough to be able to go slowly at times when needed but fast enough to keep me entertained. My last bike was an 85-86 hybrid TT600 built for the baha 500. It was powerful everywhere from luging it to redline I have always dreamed about a yz400 or its offspring (426 - 450 and the wr line) I also enjoy mx at a few local spots such as alto so at first I wanted a wr that I was going to yz out then read about the yz's with a 5 speed and thought that it could be what I wanted without the work

I wouldn't choose a yz or a wr based on their gears. Both are geared high and low enough to be entertaining. A $40 rear sprocket will be all that you need. You'll get used to either tranny. Now... if you are WOT on the yz and still not going fast enough, then you should be a pro racer!

that being said, the power delivery is different. the wr is a gentle and more mellow ride. The Yz is more agressive, a lot more agressive in my opinion. If you typically ride for an hour rest, ride again, rest, then either bike will do.

If you do enduros and typically sit in the saddle for hours, you'll like the yz.

Since you also like the track, this is a no brainer for you... get the yz. Its going to be about 30lbs lighter.

Trail riding in northern arizona. Want a first low enough to be able to go slowly at times when needed but fast enough to keep me entertained. My last bike was an 85-86 hybrid TT600 built for the baha 500. It was powerful everywhere from luging it to redline I have always dreamed about a yz400 or its offspring (426 - 450 and the wr line) I also enjoy mx at a few local spots such as alto so at first I wanted a wr that I was going to yz out then read about the yz's with a 5 speed and thought that it could be what I wanted without the work

Let me start by saying the WR although a bit heavier, is a better all around bike. It is great in the tight stuff and you can open it up and pre-run or race it down in baJa (no H in baja). I have owned both a 2008 WR450 and a 2008 YZ450 and am much happier with the WR for what I ride.

I ride an equal mix of desert and tight trails in the mountains with a few trips to the track here and there. I was riding mx once a week prior to my shattered wrist and loved the YZ on the track, that is what it is designed for. I think the only place you feel the weight consistantly is on the track. But I'm still able to throw my WR off any jump that I could on my YZ, it doesn't feel as nimble.

The up side to a YZ is that they are a dime-a-dozen and can be had for less than the WR. And they are easier to find.

I won't get another YZ. I need the light as I find myself coming in at dusk and after dark. I like the wide ratio gear box. The motor is pleanty powerful without the bite of the YZ (even with a 9oz Flywheel weight).

My 01 WR426 was still one of my favorite bikes. Get the WR.... :ride:

You know I know there's no h is baja but for the life of me unless I think about it, it comes out as baha lol. I had my heart set on an 02 wr426 until I saw the 07 yz450 in white with a 5 speed. Maybe I will just get the wr. Yz time it and a set of hot cams and all the free mods and go from there. Thank you for all your help!

Edited by Atrus96
Had to fix a detail

You cannot use the trans from any 426 in the '06 or later YZ450. The '07+ WR450 trans is a bolt-in, however, and the YZ shift cam, forks, and output shaft can be used.

The ratios are:

WR450

1. 2.417
  2. 1.733
  3. 1.312
  4. 1.050
  5. 0.840

YZ450

1. 1.929
  2. 1.533
  3. 1.278
  4. 1.091
  5. 0.952

Here's a thread on the subject:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464212

Ratio Comparison: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9195&d=1264546267

The '03-'05 YZ450 4 speed can be converted to the '03-'06 WR450 5 speed, too, but in that case, you'd need ALL of the transmission internals:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315799

You know I know there's no h is baja but for the life of me unless I think about it, it comes out as baha lol. I had my heart set on an 02 wr426 until I saw the 07 yz450 in white with a 5 speed. Maybe I will just get the wr. Yz time it and a set of hot cams and all the free mods and go from there. Thank you for all your help!

Good to know Atrus!

If you YZ time the 26 you really won't need hotcams for more power. Fitness and riding ability will give you a better result. In my book the only reason to get the hot cams is for the auto decompression cam. No need to fool around with the decomp lever, just kick and go. I never found the decomp lever to be much of an issue though, kind of nice when you need to clear out a flooded engine.

Don't forget that the 07 YZ450 will have the improved aluminum frame..... More to chew on.

Awesome just awesome. Exactly what I needed to know. Thx!

Its defiantly good to know you as well.

This place has been great to me and I hope I can return the friendliness soon!

Edited by Atrus96
Changes

The ratios are:

WR450

1. 2.636
  2. 1.733
  3. 1.312
  4. 1.050
  5. 0.840

YZ450

1. 1.929
  2. 1.533
  3. 1.278
  4. 1.091
  5. 0.952

According to my notes, the early WR450F's had a 2.417 first gear. The 2.636 ratio would make for a very wide ratio 5 speed with a very large gap between 1st and 2nd.

In any case the WR ratio spread is much more amenable to all-round off-roading than the YS.

According to my notes, the early WR450F's had a 2.417 first gear. The 2.636 ratio would make for a very wide ratio 5 speed with a very large gap between 1st and 2nd.

In any case the WR ratio spread is much more amenable to all-round off-roading than the YS.

Right you are. Double checking, I see that was in error. But it is only a 9% difference in the jump from 1st to 2nd. Wrong nevertheless, thanks for catching it. :ride: I'll update the chart as well.