2014 WR 450 Throttle Stop Screw

I tried to search for a similar thread on this topic, but couldn't find.  When I bought my '14 in November I picked up from dealer with GYTR Comp kit and assumed that they swapped out the stock throttle screw, but recently I'm not so sure.  When twisting the throttle, I only get a 1/4 turn before it stops.  Is this normal for stock throttle screw or Comp Kit screw?  Thanks for any help, I'm racing Saturday in California and would like to change this if I should be getting more turn on the throttle grip.

By a security torx bit set, pull the silencer and you have ample access to removing it (I tried getting to the screw with the silencer in and it was just kind of a pain to get to).  You been riding it two months with the stop-screw in and you are now going to race it?  It's going to be quite the change with the unrestricted throttle.  I pulled mine out like 2 years ago and didn't even put the replacement screw back in.  Think I just dabbed some silicone on it.. or maybe it's just an open screw hole?

Yeah, why I just know notice...I even raced the beginning of December and didn't noticed, but it was mainly a muddy MX race and haven't ridden it much since here in Colorado.  I just put stiffer springs on it and took it out for a spin around the block and was accelerating it hard and that's when I noticed it stopping after just a quarter turn.  Do I have to replace it with a YZ screw or just remove the stock screw?  Thanks mch

I pulled mine before the Yamaha replacement came (intending to install the replacement).  It worked fine without the screw, so I never installed the replacement.  The throttle assembly stops on something and I have over 400 hours like that with no issues.  I'd dab some silicone in the hole if you will be dealing with mud..  I don't know what size the security bit is, but they sell cheap sets at Harbor Freight.

I just tried finding the stock screw and I must have thrown it out.  The replacement just has a normal hex key head... just opened up the sealed e-bay envelope I received it in (2+ years ago).  I also got one of those quiet inserts (bigger than the pea shooter it comes with) that I never used.  

Edited by mch

Do I have to replace it with a YZ screw or just remove the stock screw?  Thanks much

If you don't want to purchase the ECU or you are waiting on it. Below is the throttle screw part number.

Appears to be a M5 x 7 socket head screw. You can pick one up at Ace Hardware etc.

Part # 91317-05008

450_throttle_screw.png

bolts.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the info supermega1.  The bike is at the dealer now and they said that when I bought the bike they cut down the stock screw so it is the same as a YZ screw.  I still might get the ACE hardware screw and try it myself someday.  They are also changing the mapping on ECU to a more aggressive setting.  Hope I notice a difference.

Thanks for the info supermega1.  The bike is at the dealer now and they said that when I bought the bike they cut down the stock screw so it is the same as a YZ screw.  I still might get the ACE hardware screw and try it myself someday.  They are also changing the mapping on ECU to a more aggressive setting.  Hope I notice a difference.

Once shortened the screw is basically just a plug for the hole and nothing else. Not sure what mods you have. But the comp ECU + FMF Exhaust + FMF ECU MAP = a ton of power and whole lot of fun to ride. 

I used a TT25 security bit to remove my throttle stop from my 2014 WR450. I took the whole exhaust off ( header pipe and GYTR slip on ) to gain plenty of access to the screw. Came out no prob. I hope this helps on the size bit you need