best tire setup

We ride sand and mud so I switched to the Michelin S-12 and haven't gotten used to them yet. They really grip anything which makes it hard to hold it straight. I think I am going to keep the rear S-12 as it really locks up, in fact ran out from under me the first day I had them on, but am looking for a different front..... ?

I have run the S12 front and rear the M12 front and rear with combinations of both. The S12 setup works well in the mud and sand but chunks up bad in rocks and hardpan. The M12 I would stay away from. The S12 front is prone to pinch flats so again if you ride in rocks stay away from them. I currently have the Pirelli MT32 on the back of my 250f I’m pretty impressed with this tire it seems to ware good and gives me a lot of confidence in the corners strait line traction is good also. I just put a set of Maxxis IT’s on my WR and after one race (100 mile hare scramble) these tires still look almost new and I hit them with everything from mud and snow to deep sand and sharp rocks. Strait line traction in the sand was not as good as the 140 S12 but they are very predictable in the corners. So I would recommend the Maxxis as the best tire for the money front and rear under a hundred bucks. If you see a sale come up on the Pirelli try them I got the MT32 front and rear for 70 bucks at Reno Motor Sports I’m impressed with this tire also.

I have run the S12 front and rear the M12 front and rear with combinations of both. The S12 setup works well in the mud and sand but chunks up bad in rocks and hardpan. The M12 I would stay away from. The S12 front is prone to pinch flats so again if you ride in rocks stay away from them.

Tell us why you won't run M-12's. You mention Reno Motor Sports. The local 'fast guy' runs the M-12 with Bib Mouse, and he can run any tire he wants - He OWNS Reno Motor Sports.

In the terrain I ride, which is rocky AND sandy. I have never run a better combo. I have never run pirellis. I have run Maxxis. Their hard terrain front tire on mard pack is incredible! The IT rear did not wear well on my 426, and chucked quite a bit in rocks. I AM interested in why the SLAM on M-12s.

Strick,

I did not slam the M-12 I said “I” would stay away from it. I ran them and was not impressed. I didn't like the strait line traction and I thought it was a little squirrelly however it wore like iron never chunked up or got a flat. The M-12 front tire wore terrible I had to replace it after two races those Nevada rocks ripped all the nobs off the thing. Tires are kind of like gloves you have to find the one that fits your hands (or riding style) I have had a lot of people recommend the Dunlop 739 to me I ran that both front and rear and I would stay away from that one also because I felt it was unpredictable. We used to get some good buys on the Michelins but they have become kind of pricey with there popularity and I think there are some better tires out there for the money. Like Maxxis IT’s and I am sure as they get more popular their price will increase also. I only have one race on this setup and my opinion may change if I run into the chunking problem you say you had.

Cuda

the m12 will hold up like steel but the problem is in each lug, theyre too wide , where as other tires have more knobs for more transfer of the power to the ground, if you ask me i would run maxxis it front and back, theyre heavy but thats because their side walls are thick, no pinch flats, id also try the bridgestone intermediate, ive got them on the ktm just i forgot what kind, i think the s12 would be a little soft for west coast riding and would get chewed up in half a days ride, if you can go to the supercross races and run around in the pits and beg the guys for their rear tires, you can get some 1 race ones for free ?

I run the Dunlop 756 on the front and a Kenda"Millville" on the back and I have been really impressed with the life of both tires. I also ran the m12/S12rear combo and found the traction to be great out back but the front was prone to pinch flats and the paper thin sidewall on the rear got a 5" slash in it while riding in a baddly rooted section of single track. I don't race anymore so I look for a heavier sidewall in any tire that I am trying out. My .02-----WR Dave.

Anyone use the Bridgestone M25 front tire, it has a spike type tread , supposed to be good for deep mud.

I've not used the M25. If you are riding Colton or the Burn, the M12 does well. I am referring to slicky snotty, rocky conditions. It doesn't sound like much of a dry environment tire. I've had the s12 chunk. Friends with KTM400's say they like it and have had no chunking. Apex in OC does pretty well for tire pricing