HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasnyder

Exhaust – Full System vs. Slip On

5 posts in this topic

I am thinking about replacing the stock shorty exhaust on my ’09 YZ450F. I am debating if I should go with a full system or just a slip on pipe with the stock header. Obviously since I am asking this question cost is a factor, like most I am on somewhat of a budget.

Does anyone have any insight into the differences of going with a full system vs. a slip on? Is there a big difference in the performance of either option?

There's a fairly big difference in performance with either option. Almost any good slip-on will significantly improve on the Shorty that comes with the '09, but the best gains are had with a full system, or by using a slip-on with an earlier header. The OEM header on the '08-'09 is grossly oversized as a compensation for the extraordinary level of restriction caused by the OEM muffler, and doesn't perform properly even with a good muffler in place.

The biggest improvement you will see either way is in the range of around 5000-6000 RPM. (lower mid range)