Manual Cam Chain Tensioner?

Since I'm putting my bike back together from when it jumped timing on me, I have been advised to go to a manual cam chain tensioner. Supposedly, the OEM/stocker struggles with handling the abuse of a big bore (480) with cam's, pipe, etc..?

Not sure on this one, anyone use them, or have feedback on them?

Hmmm...........never heard that one before. I can't see how that would put more stress on the cam chain, to my way of thinking, it would put less stress on the chain by lowering the rev ceiling of the engine.

The tensioner operates on the unloaded side of the chain, so I can't see the stocker being a problem. They extend easily, but are very difficult to retract by chain force. Verify that the chain guides, especially the one in the cam cover, are in good shape and installed correctly.

Since I'm putting my bike back together from when it jumped timing on me, I have been advised to go to a manual cam chain tensioner. Supposedly, the OEM/stocker struggles with handling the abuse of a big bore (480) with cam's, pipe, etc..?

Not sure on this one, anyone use them, or have feedback on them?

I've got one on my '99 WR400 and it works a treat :thumbsup: with real feel to the tension rather than relying on springs ..... and since my Big End let go :cry: I have been able to have a good look at it ... :thumbsdn:

IMG-20130115-00223_zps6fd7f009.jpg

IMG-20130115-00222_zps8193751a.jpg

IMG-20130115-00221_zps2d7f97fe.jpg

Hope that helps ....... :ride: