HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmxdad2001

Black Rims for my YZ450

12 posts in this topic

Ok guys I'm sure others have been in my situation. I have a 2008 YZ450 and even thought black wheels are strickly cosmetic. I know they will shave at least 2 seconds off my lap times. So taking into consideration my financial situation, what is the cheapest cost effective route to getting black wheels on my baby? Thanks in advance for any help? I'm in So Cal.

Plasti-Dip em and call it a day...

does this really hold up on a dirtbike?

I would love black wheels, but cant spend the money right now

I know this is off topic but where do you get the boost graphics?

I bought them from Flu Industries. Just not sure if they still carry them. You may find them online somewhere.

Let us know how the plastidip holds up.

Sure will Hackman. However I did talk to a member one here who has 10 rides on his and they're still holding up well. They do say not to go crazy with an extreme power washer though, which you shouldn't anyway due to danger of shortening bearing life.

I have a fresh set of black excel take offs from my 2011 maybe 10 rides on them for $650. Let me know if anyone wants them. I Can email/text pics.

Did you just masking tape off the spokes/nipples/valve stem/rim locks? Oh,and the tire to?

Yes Hackman, just get some blue painters tape. I taped the spokes but left the nipples exposed. I didn't worry about covering the hubs, just stay away from them when spraying, What ittle overspray there is wipes off fairly easy. Deflate the tires and break the bead loose so you can just place index cards between the rim and tires on both sides. Then spray away, I did 5 coats on each side of rim. When taking the tape off spokes, use an exacto knife to cut between the tape and the plasti dip, otherwise if you just pull the tape off it will peel the plasti dip off also. Just make a clean cut in between the tape and the paint.