HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
macross

My wr 400 rattles like a bag-a-rattles

8 posts in this topic

My Wr 400 rattles.....I know they do a bit, mine seems to more than most !......2 types of rattles in fact.....the clutch, normal, & another that seems to be at the top end.....Im new to thumpers, its 2000 model & ive only been on the bike a couple of weeks so it's all quite new !!!!!!!! any advise ?.........please :)

Thanx mate. :D........it just makes me feel concerned when your used to 4 cylinder 4 stokes running like silk, I must say it does get quieter as you go !!! :)

None of my WRs ever rattled... I remember once when I had my CR250 my bike vibrated really bad and even rattled.. It turns out that the spokes were loose.. :) I tightend them up and no more rattle or vibration... It can't hurt to check... :D

Dan

Check your Cam Chain. My 98 WR 400 wore out a cam chain before the piston and rings.

You can confirm by pulling the cam over and see if the chain has been slapping it and leaving marks.

I noticed a rather loud rattle after I put on a GYRT insert, before that it was too loud to hear anything. No one I knew could put a finger on it so I decided if it breaks...... well I'll know what it was then.

At an event, I started listening to all WR's and noticed that 9 of 10 rattled to varying degrees, most not a severe as mine, some worse. From that info, I mistook the rallte as normal.

Finally toward the end of this summer, about 1000 miles later, an intake valve broke. Damage incurred: about $1400.00 in parts.

If you don't find the problem elsewhere, I suggest you remove the head and have an expert give it a once over. Or wait like I did and pay the ultimate price. Although you don't hear much of broken WR/YZF valves here on TT, it appears to be not too uncommom after talking to mechanics and specialty shops.

x2