Which Rekluse?

I've used all the Rekluse clutches from the original z-start, the Pro, EXP2 and now have the Core in my 200. With the exception of the EXP, they all performed well, just slightly differently. The EXP and the 200 don't get along well together with many, including myself, reporting excessive slippage, but I haven't heard of many issues with it on other size bikes.

If you have the money, go with the Core. It is by far the easiest to install and now, with the included adjustable slave, also the easiest to adjust. You can even adjust away the "auto" part if you need to bump start. The included billet clutch cover is also a big winner. I have a big gouge in the bottom of mine that I'm sure would have shattered the (brittle) stocker.

FWIW.. I have EXP 2.0 in my CRF250R and Z-Start pro in my CRF450X. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but on the X the clutch lever is completely limp until you give it some revs and even then it's very vague. EXP 2.0 feels like a slightly stiffer stock clutch other than it moves once revs go up. I still like to be able to use the clutch for various situations (less so on 450 but on 250 I feel it really is advantageous).

So basically for me I'm not a clutch abuser in general and EXP 2.0 is way easier to install, cheaper and has good clutch lever feel so I like it quite a bit more than Z-Start pro. If someone wants a used CRF450x Z-Start Pro shoot me a PM ?

Oh yea I think in CRF 450x vs 450r one needs an X specific full clutch but EXP 2 is the same for R and X bikes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I went in and talked with Alex and Paul at Motorsports of Olympia. We talked through all of the pros and cons of both and they shared their knowledge/experience (those guys are awesome!). I then called Rekluse and they were very helpful as well... I ended up going with the Core Exp 2.0 (just dont tell the wife about the added 300 cost!)...

After all the discussion, here is what I think I heard:

Rekluse EXP 2.0 - Rekluse 2.0 expanding disc technology ring. This setup replaces some of your factory friction discs (4-5ish) and steels with the Rekluse EXP 2.0 disc making your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "not normal" (stiffer), but, remains "usable". Amount of friction material is significantly less than stock, thus weaker clutch lockup and lowered longevity. (

Rekluse CoreEXP - Rekluse 1.0 expanding disc technology ring, clutch center, pressure plate, larger clutch cover and steels. (uses factory basket) This setup uses 7 of your factory friction discs on a new clutch center, with new steels and a new pressure plate. The EXP ring replaces some of your existing frictions but not many (2ish). This makes your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "normal", and remains entirely "usable". Amount of friction material remain basically stock, thus allowing for strong clutch lockup and longevity.

Rekluse ZStart Pro - Rekluse ball action clutch, I don't know everything about this product, but, it has a more "centrifugal" type action. Basically stock friction material, means strong clutch lockup and good lifespan. Comes with basically the full kit, inner clutch, pressure plate etc. (still no basket) Very adjustable, but, fiddly. Pretty bullet proof.

Rekluse CoreEXP 2.0 - Rekluse 2.0 expanding disc technology ring, clutch center, pressure plate, larger clutch cover and steels. (uses factory basket) This setup uses 7 of your factory friction discs on a new clutch center, with new steels and a new pressure plate. The EXP ring replaces some of your existing frictions but not many (2ish). This makes your clutch automatic, can takeoff/stop in 1st gear with throttle only no clutch lever action required, clutch action is "normal", and remains entirely "usable". Amount of friction material remain basically stock, thus allowing for strong clutch lockup and longevity.

EXP 1.0 vs 2.0 - This is the design of the "expanding disc" rekluse has come up with. 1.0 is single sided, with all the bolts facing one direction, has to be fitted in a specific direction. The 2.0 is double sided, can be fitted either direction and has half the bolts facing one side, half facing the other. The 2.0's wedges (or weights) that fly out expanding the disc under speed, contain ball bearings helping them glide with a much more "normal" action every time rpm builds, this is a feature the 1.0 disc is lacking.

I will provide feedback on my experience once I have installed and am able to ride (out 6 weeks with broken wrist)...

I went with the EXP 2.0 in an '07 CRF450R. I was amazed at how easy the instillation was. It took longer to adjust the clutch cable than it did to install the clutch. I am a very unexperienced rider and often choose to bull my way through obstacles rather than use finesse, balance and technique. I ride almost all woods and single track in the NW with an ocassional trip to the desert for eht Desert 100. I have found that the clutch allows me to work my way through rocky sections and where it reeally shines for me is in the slimey wet rooted sections of trail. Before the clutch I would charge into these sections and hope I come out the other end in one piece. The clutch allows me to drop the rpm's to idle and blip the throttle to work my way through. I won't have a bike without one now. I have been very impressed with how it locks up and I have had it in the bike for 3 years. I've ridden the desert 100 3 times with it and getting ready to make my second trip to Moab. Moab is awesome with that clutch. Furthermore once I got it adjusted to where it was hooking up good I haven't touched it.

My bike likes to be in neutral when starting it with the rekluse and that is about the only drawback I see. I love it.

Edited by Booger109

Rekluse ZStart Pro - Rekluse ball action clutch, I don't know everything about this product, but, it has a more "centrifugal" type action. Basically stock friction material, means strong clutch lockup and good lifespan. Comes with basically the full kit, inner clutch, pressure plate etc. (still no basket) Very adjustable, but, fiddly. Pretty bullet proof.

Just to be clear, all the Rekluse clutches are "centrifugal". The original Z-start and Pro use balls in ramps to accomplish lock-up. The EXP/Core series use wedges between two plates.

I've been running the EXP 2 on my 2012 KTM 300. I haven't been particularly happy with the way it engages (too mushy and uncontrollable) and can also feel slippage at RPM's where it should be hooked up solid. I've adjusted it several times and have plenty of free play gain, so I know that's not the problem.

I've heard that Rekluse is aware of this issue and that it relates to variations in KTM fiber clutch plate thickness, so I'm going to give them a call and see if they can get me hooked up with a fix. I think I can also upgrade to the Core EXP by adding parts if I need to - so I'm confident I'll eventually get it right. But before going with the EXP 2 (not Core) I'd recommend a person check with others using it on their model bike to make sure they're happy with it.

I have had the Z-Start Pro in my '07 XCFW 250 and my '10 EXC 530.

I have the Core EXP in my '11 XCW 300 and the EXP in my '13 XCW 500.

I don't use a clutch lever.

The Z-Start Pros are science projects to install and to adjust, they work very well once adjusted.

The EXP's are simple to install and work great.

The key is to get them adjusted to how you want them.

I have had the Z-Start Pro in my '07 XCFW 250 and my '10 EXC 530.

I have the Core EXP in my '11 XCW 300 and the EXP in my '13 XCW 500.

I don't use a clutch lever.

The Z-Start Pros are science projects to install and to adjust, they work very well once adjusted.

The EXP's are simple to install and work great.

The key is to get them adjusted to how you want them.

Now why does a guy really need that many bikes? I'm green with envy. You have more into clutch work than I have into my bike. lol.

Edited by Booger109