How to plate WR in California?

I think I'd like to try and plate my 2012 WR.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about accomplishing this?

Not in California, I know this and I dont even live there!

I've seen guys on 300EXCs with plates so I know it's possible.

Generally in those impossible to plate states like CA, people will title out of state then transfer.

Think Vermont and Michigan are easy to plate in.....check around some in TT and there should be a generic forum for plating, it's not a model specific process.

Special Construction is the easiest and fastest way. Just like building a new Harley with a custom frame, you need to RE VIN the frame.

Usually costs about $500 plus new registration.

Just picked up my license plate for my 207 WR450f at my local CALIFORNIA DMV office today. From all the horror stories read in the "plating" forums, I was not sure I wanted to try...Just as someone said, it depends on who is working the window, and the supervisor that is working.

All I needed was a light inspection (Tusk Kit) and VIN verification by CHP. It took a total of two trips to the DMV over 1 week..one to get the paperwork started and one to turn in the inspection paperwork. Both times I observed that more time than usual was involved with the registration process along with the supervisor getting involved, but all came out well at the end. So the bike is officially "Dual Registered" for highway legal and OHV registrations. I have a new pink slip that will say it is a "motorcycle" instead of the previous "OHV" pink slip. I live in the heart of Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area.

Generally in those impossible to plate states like CA, people will title out of state then transfer.

Think Vermont and Michigan are easy to plate in.....check around some in TT and there should be a generic forum for plating, it's not a model specific process.

I think they just grant temporary plates but you would still need to do a VIN check locally and inspection - and I believe 2005 on up are green stickered for the Californians- so with proper equipment (differs for each state, especially Cali.) - It shouldn'tt be too difficult as long as it is green stickered which comes up during VIN Check / inspection I believe.

Just out of curiosity - does the green sticker 'rule' only apply to California or is it a state-by-state type deal. Also - if you have a 'red stickered' bike (say 2004 WR like me) but have a title with 'motorcycle' on it (not California title) - would there still be issues transferring and registering for California?

Best of luck

Edited by whatsitmatter

The 04 WR450F was a "Red Sticker" bike? I thought all WRs were green sticker from 98 till now.

I'm not positive on this as I was out of the country from 2001 through 2009 so could be mistaken but I'd be really surprised if your bike was not a Green Sticker bilke.

I think they just grant temporary plates but you would still need to do a VIN check locally and inspection - and I believe 2005 on up are green stickered for the Californians- so with proper equipment (differs for each state, especially Cali.) - It shouldn'tt be too difficult as long as it is green stickered which comes up during VIN Check / inspection I believe.

Just out of curiosity - does the green sticker 'rule' only apply to California or is it a state-by-state type deal. Also - if you have a 'red stickered' bike (say 2004 WR like me) but have a title with 'motorcycle' on it (not California title) - would there still be issues transferring and registering for California?

Best of luck

Green sticker refers to its off road abilities and should have no bearing on it being road legal or not. It refers (I believe) to it being a competition vs. an off road bike where red sticker can only be used in a closed course where green can be used in forests, etc.

Licensing is and can be complicated but there are far more success stories lately so maybe it's now becoming easier to get. In Minnesota they came up with this new "self check" thing where if you say you're legal and comply and have a DNR off road sticker you can plate. But no title is issued. It's a weird thing but easy to get, lots of people are registering pit bikes now because of it.

One thing to note: EVERY state is different, EVERY DMV office is different, EVERY day is different so ones experience doesn't directly relate to another. Hell, at my local DMV office there is one teller I refer to as The Bitch who will give NOTHING out but everyone else is fine. I was re-registering a 50cc Zuma I had as a moped instead of a motorcycle and was 90% done but had to verify the engine number. Came back the next day and Bitch ripped up my paperwork and said no. Funny thing is the week before I screwed up and registered an 80cc Honda Aero moped as a moped without issue. She blocked my WR several times, even with the new law until I bitched to her supervisor and finally got it done.

Green sticker refers to its off road abilities and should have no bearing on it being road legal or not. It refers (I believe) to it being a competition vs. an off road bike where red sticker can only be used in a closed course where green can be used in forests, etc.

Licensing is and can be complicated but there are far more success stories lately so maybe it's now becoming easier to get. In Minnesota they came up with this new "self check" thing where if you say you're legal and comply and have a DNR off road sticker you can plate. But no title is issued. It's a weird thing but easy to get, lots of people are registering pit bikes now because of it.

One thing to note: EVERY state is different, EVERY DMV office is different, EVERY day is different so ones experience doesn't directly relate to another. Hell, at my local DMV office there is one teller I refer to as The Bitch who will give NOTHING out but everyone else is fine. I was re-registering a 50cc Zuma I had as a moped instead of a motorcycle and was 90% done but had to verify the engine number. Came back the next day and Bitch ripped up my paperwork and said no. Funny thing is the week before I screwed up and registered an 80cc Honda Aero moped as a moped without issue. She blocked my WR several times, even with the new law until I bitched to her supervisor and finally got it done.

Green / Red sticker means different things in different states.

The WR was red sticker until 2003 in most states.

Primarily it is to designate a closed-course only bike from an off-road and closed course bike, for EPA monitoring.

In CA, you can't plate a Red sticker bike legally. That doesn't mean it can't be done......

Oh I have heard the 2004 model is also red sticker but I'm really not too sure. I got mine already registered so maybe it's not.

Either way - if you are living in California - definitely make sure it's green sticker compliant (2005 on up is a safe bet for sure) and make sure you ask the inspection station what is required for equipment.

As others have said, it's different depending. Best thing is to find someone who has registered a similar bike, find out where they did it - go to that location, let them know what you are planning and see if they will register it.

It's unfortunate how difficult it can be, especially when you see them loud, uncorked Harleys roaring down highways and through neighborhoods...

Green / Red sticker means different things in different states.

The WR was red sticker until 2003 in most states.

Primarily it is to designate a closed-course only bike from an off-road and closed course bike, for EPA monitoring.

In CA, you can't plate a Red sticker bike legally. That doesn't mean it can't be done......

Actually the WR450 is a red sticker bike through 2004 in CA. I think CA is the only state with the red\green bs. 2005 is the first year they were green certified. Easy way to tell is if the 8th digit of the vin is a 3 or a C it's red and will be flagged in the dmv database as red. If it doesn't have a 3 or C then it looks like any other motorcycle - street or dirt - to the dmv computer. You still need a vin verification with the "meets on road emission" box checked off to convert it from off road reg to street.

Edited by PBDBLUE

I wonder if the 'red sticker bikes' show any kind of warning when any dmv / inspection station outside of the state of California scan the VIN...???

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm about to try to street register a 2004 wr 450 soon in VT - I doubt it'll be too much trouble as it has a title for NH as motorcycle and was registered there as well. I moved to VT and need to transfer reg there..

Actually the WR450 is a red sticker bike through 2004 in CA. I think CA is the only state with the red\green bs. 2005 is the first year they were green certified. Easy way to tell is if the 8th digit of the vin is a 3 or a C it's red and will be flagged in the dmv database as red. If it doesn't have a 3 or C then it looks like any other motorcycle - street or dirt - to the dmv computer. You still need a vin verification with the "meets on road emission" box checked off to convert it from off road reg to street.

I had a 99 WR400 that was a Green sticker bike. The rules got kinda screwed up in 2003 when the DMV started changing the bikes that could be rego'd green v red.

The true definition is:

Green = EPA legal for off road use in state and federal parks in California...year round.

Red = Competition model (ie closed course) but can be used in federal and state parks 5-6 months out of the year (read winter months).

This bullshite is the reason I am riding a green sticker bike in lieu of a 300cc two stroke (red sticker only).

The WR 450 was RED sticker in 2003 & 2004 only.

The WR 450 was RED sticker in 2003 & 2004 only.

I thought that might have been the case.

Ok resurecting a semi old thread.  I have a 2006 WR450.  I was going to sell it as it is my 3rd bike but alas I have an idea.  If I can get a CA plate for it, I will keep it.  The bike I have runs pretty good although I have only had it out once.  The bad is I find it kinda heavy, and I need new tires.  The good things about it are it is in pretty nice shape, It is semi uncorked, and according to my research the WR has an excellent reputation for reliability.  This is what got me thinking about dual sporting it.  New tires, could go with DOT.  Bullet proof engine would be nice when on the highway.  Not planning to spend much time there but it is nice to know it can do it.  Hearing some success stories has me hopefull.  It is currently green stickered and I am getting ready to change it to my name.  I aquired the bike in a trade for an old Jeep Cherokee that I felt needed more work than it was worth. 

One thing that I am concerned with is if I cant plate it.  I would hate to spend the money on a light kit and DOT tires if ultimately DMV shuts me down. 

What should I say when I go into the DMV?  I dont want to shoot myself in the foot before I get going on this.  Any advice would be welcome.  

I'm waiting for replys with you...I would still like to get this bike plated.

I'm waiting for replys with you...I would still like to get this bike plated.

I have two guys.

PM me

Edited by Krannie

Thanks Krannie. Out of town ofr a couple months but will give them a shout when I get back.