HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
71dafonz

stainless oil filters?

5 posts in this topic

lately ive been thinking about investing in a stainless steel reusable oil filter because doing oil changes every 7 hrs is getting pretty pricey. believe me i understand the whole " oil changes are cheap, motors are expensive " expression, but im a college kid on a semi-limited budget so im trying to cut costs when i can. but have a couple of thoughts about these stainless filters.

- do they filter as well as the K&N paper filters i currently use?

- have you ever had an issue running one of these filters?

- which brand of filter should i buy and which should i avoid?

thank you in advance!

I've used a Scotts stainless oil filter since the first oil change. I've put 302.1 hours on my engine, and I don't see any negative using the stainless filter. They filter more consistently than a paper filter. There is more information here:

http://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Info.php?PartType=3

I change the oil and clean the filter every 6-8 hours, and at over 40 oil changes, I've saved quite a bit of money.

I've heard some negative feedback about other stainless steel oil filters, but nothing bad about the Scotts. I would recommend it.