Any good comparison/opinons on the newer 12'/13' WR's vs 10's?

Exactly! I've got a 6.6 gallon tank on my '06 WR450 Baja bike, so 3 gallons just ain't gonna cut it.

Damn! 6.6 gallons....that should just about get you across the whole state of Montana in one go.

I see what you're saying though, the new bike would be substantially harder to squeeze that size tank on. I'm sure that eventually someone will provided a solution to fit your needs.

How much better is the stock 12 suspension compared to an 11 with reworked valving and springs?

I just picked up a brand new 07 for $4,000 out the door and almost bought a 2012 leftover for $6,500. I think for the average weekend trail and single track rider the 2012 is not light years ahead of the 07-11’s. I just could not justify laying out an extra $2,500.

If you ride in rough terrain, the difference is amazing. It's smoother over the roots and very stable on hard landings. You just have to experience it to appreciate it.

If you ride in rough terrain, the difference is amazing. It's smoother over the roots and very stable on hard landings. You just have to experience it to appreciate it.

And this is the kind of feedback I was looking for in comparing the two, thanks. In having the yz450 with the SSS suspenders I can honestly say to this date has been the best all around suspension I've had on any of my bikes (even better once I had it revalved for the offroad trail junk). Currently I have the open bath Kayaba on my Husky which I presume is similar to the older Wr's forks and all though I do agree the twin chamber SSS are better, I feel they are only marginaly better. The biggest difference I noticed was better bottoming out in g-outs and not being so wallowy on bigger landings. Granted this is kinda apples to oranges thats why I'm looking forward to your guy's take between the two.

The 6.6 gallon tank is for Baja, as it's needed down there!! We routinely crank out 220 mile days with no Pemex's in sight, so we need to carry all that we can. I'm just not sold on the EFI yet, as it doesn't do anything but add complexity and weight and cost! Every bike that they add it to has lost performance and become lethargic in engine characteristics, except the dual EFI KX250f. I do believe that with time, they will work as well as carbs, and then will finally surpass the carb performance, but that time isn't today. And in the nether regions of Baja, I'll take a carb any day!

Carbs don't break!

The seat hieght is actually reported to be just under an inch lower than the 07-11. I would assume it was the 12s stiffer suspension holding the bike up higher in the stroke.

I sat on a '12 WR again today at the dealer. I have a 30" inseam and can barely touch the ground. I am on my tippy toes. You cannot trust the Yamaha specs. The YZ450 seat height is listed at 39.4" and the WR450 at 37.8". Not true. I sat on the 2013 YZ450 and it is noticeably shorter than the new WR. i could almost get the balls of my feet to the ground on the YZ. It also has a lighter clutch pull than the WR.

For comparison, I sat on a new CRF450X and CRF250X. Both Honda's were lower than the YZ and with much lighter clutch pull. The clutch pull on the 250X was so light, you could operate the clutch with one finger all day long.

They wanted $7500 for the 2012 WR450F, $8000 for the 2013 YZ450F and $6000 for the CRF450X. The 450X is starting to look good.

Edited by Navaho6

The 450X is a good bike however I would rather ride a YZ250F with a 450 motor shoehorned in there. Was hoping to get out for a blast today but unfortunately too much other shite to deal with. Was my only chance for a while....

Looks like first ride is going to be late January....F&%K!

A couple of things to consider regarding seat height, The WR seat is wider than the YZ or older/earlier WRs...not sure about the CRF seat. That will add to the overall tall feeling of the bike.

Edited by JDLowrance

I sat on a '12 WR again today at the dealer. I have a 30" inseam and can barely touch the ground. I am on my tippy toes. You cannot trust the Yamaha specs. The YZ450 seat height is listed at 39.4" and the WR450 at 37.8". Not true. I sat on the 2013 YZ450 and it is noticeably shorter than the new WR. i could almost get the balls of my feet to the ground on the YZ. It also has a lighter clutch pull than the WR.

For comparison, I sat on a new CRF450X and CRF250X. Both Honda's were lower than the YZ and with much lighter clutch pull. The clutch pull on the 250X was so light, I thought that maybe the clutch cable had been disconnected but it wasn't. You could operate the clutch with one finger all day long.

They wanted $7500 for the 2012 WR450F, $8000 for the 2013 YZ450F and $6000 for the CRF450X. The 450X is starting to look good.

Look around for price. I have see new 2011 WR's for 5,200 and 2012's for 6300.

Look around for price. I have see new 2011 WR's for 5,200 and 2012's for 6300.

If you see that price again for the 2012, please let me know where, even if it is too far away. I can use that as bargaining power locally.

I realize that the WR height issue could be fixed with a lower custom seat. The stiff clutch could be remedied with a hydraulic bolt-on. One thing I didn't like about the Honda 450 was the vibey engine. The new WR is still at the top of my list.

Edited by Navaho6

Dealership in San Juan Capistrano has 4 or 5 @ $6199 + fees. I got mine for that price ($7300 OTD).