HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaybird67k

Clutch friction plates

12 posts in this topic

I was curious to see what clutch friction plates you guy's are using as replacements for your 01 426's.

The OEM have been good to me, I was really suprised they lasted this long, after all I put about 40 hours a month on my bike and don't cut it any slack, I've had it 1 year now and I think thats pretty good considering the abuse.

I seen the Kevlar, but if there anything like the Kevlar brakes, I dont need them.

Please give me your input.

Later, Jason :)

I don't know about you, but I'm a little reluctant to replace my friction plates with aftermarket ones that could contaminate my oil and cause premature cylinder wall, transmission, or crankshaft wear. That's the main reason I change my oil so often. I'm perfectly satisfied with the longevity and performance of the OEM plates.

BOIT:

I just replaced everything in the clutch, but I used Barnett plates. Only because I can get a better deal them vs OEM. I change my oil every 3 rides, religiously, when I do get to ride, I ride it hard. I havent really noticed any abnormal contamination, I am assuming the damage you are speaking of is from the material in the aftermarket plates??

There were several '00 426's produced that had defective clutch baskets and Yamaha warranteed/recalled those bikes.

Yes, with the engine and transmission sharing common oil, if you over slip the clutch, the oil becomes contaminated. Honda recognized this shortcoming and separated the transmission oil from the crankcase oil in their 450. I expect Yamaha to follow suit in '03.

hey Hugh, Dont be too sure about that statement, I have personally seen 4 shattered clutch baskets!!!! on 00' 426's

Hey Hugh, you werent coming off that way at all, no offense was taken, nor did I attempt to sound that way either, I was just trying to make a point about the "factories" over looking things from time to time. Boit you are correct, they did warranty all cases.

Seems you'll find some areas that are great ideas, and others that look like after thoughts.

hey Boit, seems like you may have an inside scoop on the new bikes, do you hear anything on weight??? Hopefully about 20lbs less, or more would be even better???

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: BK14MX ]