11 vs 12

i was going to buy a new 12 after new years. But, a buddy of mine just sent me a link of a very clean white and black 11 in the houston area, about 6 hrs from me but ill be there for new years anyway. Bike has a few bells and whistles like excel wheels with talon hubs, gytr glide plate, billet chain guard, o-ring chain and yoshi pipe. Owner wants 5k for the bike. Bike has so little ride time it doesnt even have scratches on the clutch and stator cover. Is this fair for the bike or am i better off with the 12?

What are the differences between the 11 and 12? Is the 12 that much better?

Forgot to mention i can get a 12 for $7200 otd with the gytr tuner. Owner never mentioned having the tuner. But i will find out. Ive been doing some searching and found the 12 was mapped differently, suspension was revalved, and some other minor changes.

Edited by LAYZ71

Forgot to mention i can get a 12 for $7200 otd with the gytr tuner. Owner never mentioned having the tuner. But i will find out. Ive been doing some searching and found the 12 was mapped differently, suspension was revalved, and some other minor changes.

Yes, the changes are all very minor, the biggest change literally is the graphics. The valving differences in the suspension are not noticeable, the suspension will still come set up as a compromise for the general masses. If you are getting the tuner then the mapping change does not make any difference, and you should set the suspension up for your weight and ability anyways. You have to decide if the $2200 difference is worth it.

2012's have cleaner looking welds and i haven't heard of them cracking frames like the 2010's and 11's. I would ask to see under the air box on the 2011.

I have yet to see any 2011's with cracked frames and have only seen two 2010's with cracked frames. This is definitely an anomaly, as almost every bike ever built has at least a handful of cracked frames. Cracking frames really don't seem like something to worry about any more than any other bike out there.

Edited by KJ790

No scratches on the stock clutch cover?????? I just bought 2012 yz450f OTD for $6300. After about 1 hour of riding the clutch cover was all scratched up. I would make sure you know how many hours are on the bike. Some guys take their stock stuff off when they first get the bike. Then when they are ready to sell put it back on clean the bike real good and say "it has low to no hours". But then again it is possible that they put all that aftermarket stuff and then never rode it. But I doubt it.

• Like 1

No scratches on the stock clutch cover?????? I just bought 2012 yz450f OTD for $6300. After about 1 hour of riding the clutch cover was all scratched up. I would make sure you know how many hours are on the bike. Some guys take their stock stuff off when they first get the bike. Then when they are ready to sell put it back on clean the bike real good and say "it has low to no hours". But then again it is possible that they put all that aftermarket stuff and then never rode it. But I doubt it.

I agree, couple hours on my 12 and the clutch cover has boot wear big time.

To me it was worth the extra money to buy a new bike instead of taking the chance with a used one, especially a thumper.

True, i talked to the guy and he seems to be an older rider with very little experience. Says the bike is too much for him and he wants a new 250f.

I can believe it. I have a 2011 yz450 with about 4-5 hours on it if that with no scratches and I wished I would have went with a 250. I bought the 450 b/c I use to ride a 250 years ago and I'm a beast on my ZX10 on the street but were talking two different worlds. If I could do it all over again I would have grabbed a 250 b/c I'm just getting back into the sport and move up from there.

I can believe it. I have a 2011 yz450 with about 4-5 hours on it if that with no scratches and I wished I would have went with a 250. I bought the 450 b/c I use to ride a 250 years ago and I'm a beast on my ZX10 on the street but were talking two different worlds. If I could do it all over again I would have grabbed a 250 b/c I'm just getting back into the sport and move up from there.

Im fairly good on my gsxr750. Just dont ride much anymore, most of my friends sold their bikes. So i have few riding buddies, and cant go to the local bike nights because i work the night shift.

Sent you a pm