HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RidingTwoLive

'06 YZ 450f Gearing For Trails Riding?

9 posts in this topic

I have been trying to find a sprocket combo to lower gear a '06 YZ 450f for trail riding and haven't found anything available... Where do you YZ 450f trail riders get your sprockets and what sprocket combo do you run? Also a good gold chain is on the list but I don't know what length or which brand. I am basically new to the YZ scene so I need some guidance.

JT sprockets has all sorts of them.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/

Thumpertalk store has stuff:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Sprockets-c3679/

and theres also Rocky Mountain:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/c/44/54/226/Drive

I always use Regina ORN6 chains (but i think now theyre just called the MSR Gold chains)

I forgot what gearing i have set up on my 08. i think its the 13/49. seems to work good for me, but your speed and trails may dictate a different ratio

the most common gearing for woods is 13/52 (13/49 should be stock)

I personally run 12/49 which is the same overall gearing, but some people say that the 12 tooth front sprocket is a bad idea, I don't remember why.. maybe accelerated chain guide wear or something.. the next time I get a set I will switch to 13/52

I disagree with gearing a bike down for trails, I run 13/49 which works just fine. I ride lots of tight woods with technical terrain and I also race Hare Scrambles. Lowering the gearing makes the bike too jerky for me. I want smooth power. To each his own though just giving you my opinion. Whatever you do at least get some type of sealed chain, a solid roller chain will get destroyed in a heartbeat on trail rides.

with the gearing i have, im able to switch to my supermoto setup without switching chains. :thumbsup:

that was the determining factor with what i had selected. i would get a 50/51 rear, then keep a couple Cs sprockets with you...theyre cheap and easy to change out if you want some variation.

13/52. I slot the mounting holes on the chain guide to drop it. Otherwise I find it very hard on the plastic insert.