HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jsladwig

98 yz400 project bike or upgrade to new toy

3 posts in this topic

I have a 98 yz400 and it's time to decide if I want this to become a full project bike and start rebuilding everything I can and setting this thing up to off road or if I should swap for something a little newer and lighter and build the new toy up. Thoughts / experience....

setting up for off road? whats it now?

i can only speak from experience. i had a 98 400, a 2000 426, and now ive got an 08 450. lemme tell ya.....once i got on the aluminum framed yz, i asked myself why the hell i waited so long. i used the 426 for supermoto mostly, and as the power was there to hang with the newer 450's (and even beat em on the straights) I felt i had gotten to the point where its handling was a limiting factor.

i immediately noticed a huge improvement in handling and the feel of how much lighter the newer chassis are.

so id say if youve got a little coin saved up, sell the 400, put that money and what youve saved on a nice 06-later bike, and have fun with it.