Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kijen

Leak down test

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm building a leak down tester, and I have read the many posts about them, but what are you guys using to plug the exhaust port? the 99-13 YZ250's have a weird shape and I'm not sure the plugs everyone else is using on the CR's and KX's will work, thinking of a cap vice a plug, so what do you guys use?

thanks!

On my 125 I used an expandable plug from an auto parts store. It looks like a big rubber cork with a bolt in the middle to squish it and make it expand. They sell many different sizes. Not sure what they are called or what their intended use is, but they make perfect exhaust port stuffers. :thumbsup:

Just buy a rubber pipe cap with hose clamp. Slips over the exhaust flange like the exhaust does, tightens down with the hose clamp. Doesn't need to be much, leakdown shouldn't go over 8 psi.

Not sure what they are called or what their intended use is, but they make perfect exhaust port stuffers. :thumbsup:

Expansion plug

1 person likes this

You can't use an expansion plug in a newer bike. the exhaust port is oddly shaped(like stated). I used a 2 inch rubber plug for sewer pipes. I think an 1 3/4 might fit better but the 2" still did the job. On the intake I used a 1 1/4 X 3/4 pvc bushing. Wrapped it with a few layers of eletrical tape and it fit perfect. Then I just got a gas pressure tester. 3/4 female by male adapter, a 3/4 45 and a stick of 3/4 pipe( best if you have a small piece laying around). Glue it all together and use Teflon on the threads.