2013 opinions?

So now that everyones had time to put some time on the 13s, id like to know everyones opinions. Both good and bad. Im very close to pulling the trigger on a 13 crf....coming off an 09 crf450r(remap, pro circuit link, pro action revalve). What do you like, love, and dislike about the new bike? I never been stoked on dual exhaust, and i will say im kinda sad they put them back on...i hated them on my 06 crf...

if you like your 09 you will like the 13. I also came off an 09 to the 13, and I don't notice a huge difference. The front end is very planted on the 13 and it has a lot more low end and is a lot smoother and will chug at low rpm instead of stalling out like the 09. The 13 starts a lot better than my 09, 13 will start in gear after a stall with one kick. The 13 wants to turn, in a long sweeping turn I find it actually turning sharper than the burm or rut that I am in. The front end has the traction to pull it off, but it still takes a little getting used to. I like the air forks a lot. They still need a revalve but I thought stock vs stock the 13 forks are a lot better than the 09 forks. With time I will get the 13 forks better than my 09 forks. They are easier to dial in because they are so smooth up top and have excellent bottoming resistance. The clutch still has the same pull as my 09 did. Other than the hard pull I never had any problems related to the 4 spring clutch. Run it with no play in the cable and enjoy it. I do wish the bike was a little louder, it has excellent bottom end but once it gets into the mid range that is it, the top goes very flat. I think a more open exhaust would help the top end. It runs out of steam right when it sounds like it should really be building full power. It feels a little heavier putting it on the stand but feels the same on the track.

I have had the 09,12 and now the 13.

I thought the 09 was a great bike once the mapping had been readjusted to rectify the flame out issues and also the starting issues.

I had Ohlins TTx forks and rear shock so the suspension was really good, however the 12 suspension standard was really good and the 12 was definitly a better all round package than the 09.

The 13 I have to say is a massive improvement to the last generation 450's, power down low is nicer, suspension I feel is awesome in standard form (i weigh 167lbs)

Does need an exhaust though, power does flatten out as mentioned earlier, I put the Yoshimura duals on, you can fit a single pipe, but it will look a little wierd from the back as the side number boards stick out a bit, to get an idication of looks, just pull the lhs muffler off and you will get at what i'm saying.

I like the dually's, it gives the bike more individuality.

Handling on this bike is streets ahead of the last generation too, easier to corner, better straight line stabilty - it's definitly a better balance that Honda has achieved.

Feels lighter in the air than last generation, but yes does feel heavier when putting onto stand but you cannot feel that when riding.

If you have had any of the last generation 450's and liked them, then you will love the 13.

If you have owned or ridden pre 09 and hated the 09-12 generation bikes, and you have gone to other makes baecause you hated them, I will go out on a limb and say that the 13 will defintley get you back on a Honda.

Edited by Yaapie

Im coming from an 09 KTM 450 sxf, and I have to say, i love the honda. I find it lighter (puttin it on the stand and on the track), turns alot better, stock suspension feels pretty good considering i weigh 200#; power is nice and is comparable to my ktm, the clutch is prolly the only downside when comparing the two, but so far Im glad I picked the Honda!

Im coming from an 09 KTM 450 sxf, and I have to say, i love the honda. I find it lighter (puttin it on the stand and on the track), turns alot better, stock suspension feels pretty good considering i weigh 200#; power is nice and is comparable to my ktm, the clutch is prolly the only downside when comparing the two, but so far Im glad I picked the Honda!

What is your height?

i mean, i do think they look good, expecially with some twin yoshis or something, but it makes the bike harder to work on and i like to keep it simple. just not worth it to me to have two pipes.

They are not any harder to work on buddy, I had the 08 CRF250R and there is honestly not much difference in maintenance.

You basically have 1 extra bolt to take off the lhs muffler.

I've just got the 13 450 and it's also just 1 bolt holding the lh muffler on, everything else is exactly the same as on any other bike!

If you have owned or ridden pre 09 and hated the 09-12 generation bikes, and you have gone to other makes baecause you hated them, I will go out on a limb and say that the 13 will defintley get you back on a Honda.

Thats where I´m at ! ?

Edited by HRC
  • Like 1

yaapie, i bent one on my 06 and it made it a pain lining everything up everytime id strip the bike to do a full clean/regrease. otherwise, i absolutely love the new bike. i believe hondas build quality is second to none. ive owned almost very brand and honda and yami were the only bikes that always felt new and stood the test of time. i love the fit and finish of it and how light they are.

• Like 1

yaapie, i bent one on my 06 and it made it a pain lining everything up everytime id strip the bike to do a full clean/regrease. otherwise, i absolutely love the new bike. i believe hondas build quality is second to none. ive owned almost very brand and honda and yami were the only bikes that always felt new and stood the test of time. i love the fit and finish of it and how light they are.

I agree with you on that one buddy, Honda and Yammie definitly have the lasting reliabilty and build quality at the top level!!

Twins can be a pain, but not too much of a mission to sort if you bend them, I've seen some singles been wrapped around quite badly and beyond repair, with twins you generally only bend one side at a time.

i mean, i do think they look good, expecially with some twin yoshis or something, but it makes the bike harder to work on and i like to keep it simple. just not worth it to me to have two pipes.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but do you or anyone else know what Honda's plan is with that dual set-up?

I guess it would make the bike more balanced, but at the cost of more weight: anyone have any insight?

Equally balanced, better balance in whoops, and in the air, brings exhaust in closer to fram for center of gravity. This is what they say, they say they did their homework and got it right this time, only tine will tell haha

Equally balanced, better balance in whoops, and in the air, brings exhaust in closer to fram for center of gravity. This is what they say, they say they did their homework and got it right this time, only tine will tell haha

Who said that, the Honda promotional literature?

Coming off of a '12 KX450F from last year, to a '13 CRF450 this year.

My only complaint is the engine. The engine is not half as good as the Kawi. I feel like I have to shift literally twice as much as the Kawi. Now that being said...The bike in every other aspect is better. The thing corners like no other bike I have ever had, and the air forks are amazing. Fit and finish on the Honda is much nicer. The Kawi looks clapped out after about 10 hours on the bike. I also had to put a Magura Hydraulic clutch on the Honda (which was the best money I have ever spent). I will be getting a Hot Cam stage 2 in my bike within the next month to get it somewhere in the same stratosphere as the Kawi (I already have the Yosh on my bike).

hope this helps...just my opinion.

Coming off of a '12 KX450F from last year, to a '13 CRF450 this year.

My only complaint is the engine. The engine is not half as good as the Kawi. I feel like I have to shift literally twice as much as the Kawi. Now that being said...The bike in every other aspect is better. The thing corners like no other bike I have ever had, and the air forks are amazing. Fit and finish on the Honda is much nicer. The Kawi looks clapped out after about 10 hours on the bike. I also had to put a Magura Hydraulic clutch on the Honda (which was the best money I have ever spent). I will be getting a Hot Cam stage 2 in my bike within the next month to get it somewhere in the same stratosphere as the Kawi (I already have the Yosh on my bike).

hope this helps...just my opinion.

Have to tried re-mapping, that will bring the motor to life for sure without having to spend extra money, the standard mapping has the injection set at a very mild setting.

You also have to remember that although the honda feels less powerful that the Kawi, under acceleration, I have holeshot on my Honda's a lot more times that my mates with the Kawis, Suzukis and KTM's - all having more powerful motors!

The honda has more of an electric feel to it but it also gets the power down to the ground better than most if not all the other bikes.

And thats the reason i love fuel injection, because of the smooth hit

Im with you on this one dude, I dont have godzilla arm that can hold onto a fire breathing beast for a full 30 min moto!

Besides garanteed that you have more tracion with smoother power.