HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silver_x_samurai

2003 yz450 Trouble starting after kick start assembly replacement

1 post in this topic

I'm having trouble with my 2003 yz450. A few months ago I went to kick start the bike and I had the kick start lever kick back. The bike didn't start and after the kick back the lever felt like it was stuck. I pulled the crank case off and found that the kick idle gear and gear on the kick axel assembly had both broken a few teeth. I replced both gears put everything back together. The bike started up after a few kicks, ran for a few minutes and then died. After a lot of kicking I have got the bike started a total of three times all with the same result, After a few minutes it dies. I've cleaned the carb but have not checked the valves.

A few side notes: after a couple of minutes trying to get the bike started I'll let it sit for a minute of two. when I go to kick again the kick start lever is very hard to kick. after a few tries it becomes easier. I have had a couple of individual soft pops out of the exhaust after kicking for a while.

also, when filling the bike back up with oil I added 1.2L. I realized my mistake only after I ran the bike for a few minutes at which point I drained the excess oil. Could I have created and issue by running the bike with too much oil?

Any help is much appreciated!