HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GlennR

How to remove Sprocket Nut ?

13 posts in this topic

Is there a trick to removing the big nut that holds the front sprocket on?

How do I lock up the engine to loosen it? I know about putting rope into the spark plug hole, but that might not be the best thing for the WR.

I know some guys swap out sprocket sizes pretty often, so it must not be too hard, but I haven't do it before and don't want to wrestle a lot with it or break anything.

Should I use Loctite when replacing it?

Impact will get it off since is spins fast. If you don't have an impact you can have a buddy sit on the bike put it in gear and apply the rear brake. I have also had to put an item in the rear sprocket to keep it from moving like a rag around the chain. To do it correct use an impact.

I just put one back on yesterday. I would use loctite. An impact makes it easy. I kept it in neutral but had someone push the back brake while the chain is still on...

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall

bike in first gear

sit on bike

back brake fully on

3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall

bike in first gear

sit on bike

back brake fully on

3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

I like the bike against the wall idea why didn't I think of that.

Thanks guys.

I'll pick up an impact wrench/gun. Been wanting one anyway... I figured that was the best way.

Loctite isn't needed when re-installing the nut. That's what the lockwasher is for.

maybe im missing it but i cant find the sprocket on the fiche. what is it under?

nevermind found it. Under transmission...

Edited by jawknee21

i use a tripled up piece of safety wire and go through one chain link then to a hole in the rear sprocket, all while in nuetral.

no brake needed, i usually work alone so sometimes you have to improvise

I never had one that was to tight where I couldn't just set the bike on the ground and chock the rear wheel to get it off, but WD40 might help and I always clean up the spline on the shaft with it too. No need for locktite as you have the fold over spline washer, witch I buy and extra one to have if needed. I think after a couple of times of removal the washer gets comprimised folding it over the nut and it's good to just put a new one on.

Edited by cwallershasta

Bought a $20 impact gun from HF, which did the job. Then when installing the new one I realized that my torque wrench is only a 3/8" and I need a 1/2"....Arrrg! Always "something".