How to remove Sprocket Nut ?

Is there a trick to removing the big nut that holds the front sprocket on?

How do I lock up the engine to loosen it? I know about putting rope into the spark plug hole, but that might not be the best thing for the WR.

I know some guys swap out sprocket sizes pretty often, so it must not be too hard, but I haven't do it before and don't want to wrestle a lot with it or break anything.

Should I use Loctite when replacing it?

Impact will get it off since is spins fast. If you don't have an impact you can have a buddy sit on the bike put it in gear and apply the rear brake. I have also had to put an item in the rear sprocket to keep it from moving like a rag around the chain. To do it correct use an impact.

I just put one back on yesterday. I would use loctite. An impact makes it easy. I kept it in neutral but had someone push the back brake while the chain is still on...

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall

bike in first gear

sit on bike

back brake fully on

3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

Line bike up perpenduclar to a wall & put front wheel against wall

bike in first gear

sit on bike

back brake fully on

3 ft breaker bar with socket on the c/s nut

I like the bike against the wall idea why didn't I think of that.

Loctite isn't needed when re-installing the nut. That's what the lockwasher is for.

Use an impact. It is the least stressful on the bike.

Thanks guys.

I'll pick up an impact wrench/gun. Been wanting one anyway... I figured that was the best way.

Loctite isn't needed when re-installing the nut. That's what the lockwasher is for.

maybe im missing it but i cant find the sprocket on the fiche. what is it under?

nevermind found it. Under transmission...

Edited by jawknee21

i use a tripled up piece of safety wire and go through one chain link then to a hole in the rear sprocket, all while in nuetral.

no brake needed, i usually work alone so sometimes you have to improvise

I never had one that was to tight where I couldn't just set the bike on the ground and chock the rear wheel to get it off, but WD40 might help and I always clean up the spline on the shaft with it too. No need for locktite as you have the fold over spline washer, witch I buy and extra one to have if needed. I think after a couple of times of removal the washer gets comprimised folding it over the nut and it's good to just put a new one on.

Edited by cwallershasta

Me trying to do it without an impact is a comedy of errors.....and a giant waste of time.

Bought a $20 impact gun from HF, which did the job. Then when installing the new one I realized that my torque wrench is only a 3/8" and I need a 1/2"....Arrrg! Always "something".