Head light on a YZ450F

Trail Tech ( I think ) makes a self-contained HID race light/battery pack combo that clamps on the forks in minutes and will run the light for about 4 hours on a charge. EXPENSIVE, though. Something smaller/lighter/cheaper can be had just as a trail light to deal with getting back late.

I have the trail tech set up and at night I can ride as fast at night as I dare ride during the day in open desert. Tighter single track I can ride fast but not full speed. The amount of light put out by the light is truly amazing it's just light does not bend so some times in the single track stuff it's hard to see how deep holes are.

I run a quad lead Baja designs off the stator and the rest of my street legal kit runs off a ballistic battery, I have to charge about every 10 rides. the headligh is brighter than my HID's in my Jeep.

Winter project - lights for my 2010 YZ! There were a few skeptical mechanics that told me this couldn't be done - HA! Thanks to loads of good info posted on the TT forums, some trial & error, and my trusty mechanic Steve Sage, it was a success!

Polisport HMX (LED) headlight ~ $100 (clears the ECU with mounting kit supplied)

Polisport (LED) tail light ~$30 (very small and lightweight)

K&S universal headlight on/off switch ~$25

K&S pressure switch (for rear brake light) ~$30

Galfer front brake line to clear the headlight (I bought one that fits the 2013 WR model because the YZ stock brake line is too short) ~$90

This works and looks AWESOME - No battery required! The LED lights are bright, don't dim at low rpm, and they use very little power. The stock stator has plenty of extra juice to run the lights, but needs a lot of juice to start the bike and fire the EFI. You can probably start without switching the lights off, but the on/off switch seemed like a good idea and was inexpensive.

I didn't use this harness but it's worth checking out...

Baja designs has a plug-in switch for the EFI YZ harness & instructions for connecting the switch and wiring harness on a YZ450 EFI bike. http://www.bajadesig...NSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One Small modification: hole drilled through the headlight mount left side for the brake line to feed through - lines up perfectly with the guide on the left fork.

Edited by MikeMack

Winter project - lights for my 2010 YZ! There were a few skeptical mechanics that told me this couldn't be done - HA! Thanks to loads of good info posted on the TT forums, some trial & error, and my trusty mechanic Steve Sage, it was a success!

Polisport HMX (LED) headlight ~ $100 (clears the ECU with mounting kit supplied)

Polisport (LED) tail light ~$30 (very small and lightweight)

K&S universal headlight on/off switch ~$25

K&S pressure switch (for rear brake light) ~$30

Galfer front brake line to clear the headlight (I bought one that fits the 2013 WR model because the YZ stock brake line is too short) ~$90

This works and looks AWESOME - No battery required! The LED lights are bright, don't dim at low rpm, and they use very little power. The stock stator has plenty of extra juice to run the lights, but needs a lot of juice to start the bike and fire the EFI. You can probably start without switching the lights off, but the on/off switch seemed like a good idea and was inexpensive.

I didn't use this harness but it's worth checking out...

Baja designs has a plug-in switch for the EFI YZ harness & instructions for connecting the switch and wiring harness on a YZ450 EFI bike. http://www.bajadesig...NSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One Small modification: hole drilled through the headlight mount left side for the brake line to feed through - lines up perfectly with the guide on the left fork.

Here is a video with a bike done with I think the same kinda thing you have done. It looks pretty sweet. Starts putting stuff on around the 2 min mark and you can see it after the race around the 18 min mark.

Edited by f150jokerstyle

I use a 1000 lumen head mounted MTB LED light, 30 hours low beam, 10 hours mid beam , 3 hours high beam. With it being mounted on top of your helmet you just point it in the direction you want to go, even "around corners" etc