HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mslow

2005 wr450, advice on heated grips and stator upgrade

3 posts in this topic

Fellas, I've unfortunately not been able to ride the past three months becasue of a minor wreck that's takign way too long to heal from.

At any rate, I'm planning to extend my riding season by adding some heated grips.

I did do research on here and read a few threads but I need some help.

I'm still new to the WR so my questions are this:

How can I tell if the PO installed a DC converter or did a stator upgrade?

If PO did not, what stator upgrade should I do to power heated grips and a GPS?

Finally, what heated grips are you guys having the best results with?

Thanks in advance!

I run my gps and aux high intensity lights directly off the battery. the battery acts as a buffer so it will not hit your electrical system so hard.. just remember to turn your stuff off when not needed to allow a full charging of the battery. I think you will find that almost all the heated grips out there are under 2.5 amp on high. note my HID lights have a nomial operating draw of 5a with a ballast assisted 30a startup.

You shouldn't need any electrical system upgrade to run heated grips and power a GPS. Like allterra said, run it off the battery so you have some buffer built in.

Or you could do what I did and float the ground on your stator making it output 100%DC to charge the battery, convert your headlight to an HID and run a DC regulator. Then you whll have more than enough charging power.