$2000 for 88 xr600???

I would think 2K is on the high upper end. Look around and I'm sure you could find a deal for the same price on a bike that is 91 or newer that has the rear disk brake. I've owned both an 89 and a 97 and there is no comparison with the brakes in my opinion.

A little steep in my opinion! ball park of $1000-1200.00 sounds like cheap fun! i would look for a 91' or newer bike because there is virtually no change in them thru 2000!

But hey a machine is only worth what someone wants to pay! but on the other hand your buddy may tell you to shove it up your hinny if you throw those figures at him!

good luck!

• 3 years later...

oh yeah? well mine was blown with posi traction and dude gave it to me.

seriously, i traded labor for my 88 and sunk a little over a grand into it. if your buddies bike is as unridden as you think it is it will last a long time right? what does it matter if the bike is a late teenager if it hasn't been used?

just some thought. what aside from upgrading to a new pipe and some rubber on the seals and rims would it take to bring it up thumping?

:applause:

I'm surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Ebay yet.

You can usually find some really good buys there. Granted, you've got to be willing to take the time for a bike that is reasonably close to you to show up, unless you're willing to figure in the shipping fees.

Check Craigslist too. At least with Craigslist you can choose a region to search in.

In answer to your question, 2k for an '88 is pretty steep in my opinion.

Last Nov. I paid about that for 1983 XL600 with 3140 mi. Very well maintained:

1983XL600Rrightside1.jpg?t=1177984490

I can put both feet on the ground, and it has lots of power. the new ones are so tall it is difficult to commute around town on them. Everything works and hopefully it will well for long time. It is relatively uncomplicated and has no smog stuff. I'm happy with the deal. A new XRL would give me electric start but cost $3000 plus more. I don't think I'd get double the fun. It's up to you and your budget.