HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robls

wr450 Overheating

10 posts in this topic

An Aspen tree jumped out in from of me on a trail ride and tweeked my left radiator. The frame was bent a little and there was a hair line crack on the top. I sent it to Myler radiators and they welded the crack and reinforced all other welds.

I reinstalled the fixed radiator and now the bike over heats very fast......10-15 minutes. No leaks, steams like its on fire. The over flow antifreeze boils and pours out.

It appears like there is flow with the radiators.

?????????

When it boils over, it's not just sitting there in the garage running for 10-15 minutes, right? Every bike will boil over in 10-15 minutes while just sitting there. They need airflow over them to keep them cool.

My bike has always been able to idle for longer times without overheating,even on hot days(80 degrees). However, it is currently overheating riding down the road at a low rpm and on a cool day (50 degrees). Is there a way to confirm with all certainty whether the water pump is working or not?

My bike has always been able to idle for longer times without overheating,even on hot days(80 degrees). However, it is currently overheating riding down the road at a low rpm and on a cool day (50 degrees). Is there a way to confirm with all certainty whether the water pump is working or not?

Do you have enough anti freeze in the mix. I run straight dex cool never overheats,.

Water pump is good. Flow is good. Antifreeze is good. Bike still overheats at idle or riding fast at low RPMs!

Where all did you check the flow? Is it flowing freely through both radiators? Just wondering if the repaired one is restricting flow. Maybe there is an air lock or something that's preventing the system from circulating. Is there a vent that needs to be opened on the opposite side while refilling?

did you try taking the fixed radiator and running a garden hose through it? blowing through it with your mouth? if its not that then probably air like above post