HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hezzdown

2001 WR426 Question

4 posts in this topic

Hey all! I bought a WR426 a while back and tore it down to the frame and rebuilt it from the ground up as soon as I got it home. Never even rode it before I tore it down. Well I finished the build tonight and it runs really strong. Just have two questions...

1) When the bike warms up the header pipe up near the cylinder glows red. Is this normal for these bikes? My regular rider (KTM) doesn't do that.

2) Anyone know what the color combos for plugging in the rear tail light are? Three wires there but only two being used. I'm guessing the third would be for a brake light which it doesn't have.

Thanks for any and all feedback in advance!

Sorry about that, should have done some searching here first. The glowing header pipe appears to be the norm on these bikes. I thought so, years back I had a buddy with a yz426 and I seem to remember it doing that as well.

Sorted out the brake light situation as well. When I put the bike back together I mounted the headlight switch up next to the grip which shortened the wiring harness just enough to make the brake light connectors under the seat just barely come loose. I'll have to see if I can move things around to get the needed length or just lengthen the wiring.

I should take that look before you leap advice my parents gave me when I was a kid I guess ;-)

Sorry about that, should have done some searching here first. The glowing header pipe appears to be the norm on these bikes. I thought so, years back I had a buddy with a yz426 and I seem to remember it doing that as well.

Sorted out the brake light situation as well. When I put the bike back together I mounted the headlight switch up next to the grip which shortened the wiring harness just enough to make the brake light connectors under the seat just barely come loose. I'll have to see if I can move things around to get the needed length or just lengthen the wiring.

I should take that look before you leap advice my parents gave me when I was a kid I guess ;-)

No problem! We all re-learn what are parents tried to teach us from time to time!!! Glad you got it figured out! :thumbsup:

You can buy a brake light switch for cheap and plug it right in to the harness if you are so inclined. It replaces the banjo bolt on the brake line at the foot brake lever. I would post a link but my buddy actually picked mine up for me and I don't remember where he got it... It was only a couple of bucks though.