Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
candlkirk

How to ride it

6 posts in this topic

I just sold my yz250. Yesterday I bought a new 426. How will I have to change my riding style now. I guess what I am asking is how do I ride this thing.

Don't chop the throttle on take offs! Don't slip the clutch. Don't be afraid to rev it after break in. The rest will come with practice. You will either quickly adapt after 2-3 rides, or not. If you are a smooth rider, it will come naturally.

Thanks, Can anyone give me some advice on suspension setup. Also is pump gas alright to run in it. I have been riding for several years and hope I can abapt to the 4-Stroke.

Having come from a 98YZ250, onto a YZ426, I can sympathize.

I find that if you ride the YZF like a two stroke, IOW, be

aggresive, you'll haul major anus. There *are* times I fan

the clutch and that makes things happen in a hurry. The

only other thing I found is that you MUST plan ahead to turn.

The YZF will not cut-n-thrust like a 250 simply because it

won't stop like a 250.

As for the suspension, I'd suggest going full-soft until it

breaks in, then start turning the compression in, in two click

increments until its plush but firm enough that you only bottom

once per lap if on a track. I had my suspension revalved by

a local guru and the diff is pretty drastic. Also, make sure the

sag is set correctly as if it isn't, the bike is pretty "ass happy"

(at least to me)

Merf

I'm just an average rider and everyone has their own style anyway, but I personally find that I don't have to use any clutch exiting corners and even turn most corners in 3rd gear. I'm probably one of the smaller guys on these things (6', 160# without gear) but for me it pulls plenty hard just off idle for most situations so I usually ride the track that I frequent completely in 3rd. The motor is my favorite part of this bike, you'll love it for sure! Remember that even though it does rev great, it also makes awesome power down low and especially in the middle so you won't have to shift nearly as much as you do on a 2-stroke.

If you stall it, don't touch the throttle and pull the hot start before you even attempt to start it. If I do this then it usually starts right up with no more than 3 kicks (usually one or two), even if I have fallen over.

I'm not much help in the suspension department as the stock setup is just about perfect for the track that I ride. Set the sag and play with the clickers a bit, nothing else needed in my case. Pump gas is OK if you get the premium. My bike was fouling plugs sometimes during the first cold start of the day but I haven't had that problem at all since I have switched brands of gas (was using Mobil, now using Shell) plus it seems to run better with the Shell gas. I'm at sea level and my jetting is completely stock so I'm pretty sure the gas had something to do with it.

Did you get an '02 or an '01? Let us know how you like it!

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:

I'm just an average rider and everyone has their own style anyway, but I personally find that I don't have to use any clutch exiting corners and even turn most corners in 3rd gear. I'm probably one of the smaller guys on these things (6', 160# without gear) but for me it pulls plenty hard just off idle for most situations so I usually ride the track that I frequent completely in 3rd. The motor is my favorite part of this bike, you'll love it for sure! Remember that even though it does rev great, it also makes awesome power down low and especially in the middle so you won't have to shift nearly as much as you do on a 2-stroke.

If you stall it, don't touch the throttle and pull the hot start before you even attempt to start it. If I do this then it usually starts right up with no more than 3 kicks (usually one or two), even if I have fallen over.

I'm not much help in the suspension department as the stock setup is just about perfect for the track that I ride. Set the sag and play with the clickers a bit, nothing else needed in my case. Pump gas is OK if you get the premium. My bike was fouling plugs sometimes during the first cold start of the day but I haven't had that problem at all since I have switched brands of gas (was using Mobil, now using Shell) plus it seems to run better with the Shell gas. I'm at sea level and my jetting is completely stock so I'm pretty sure the gas had something to do with it.

Did you get an '02 or an '01? Let us know how you like it!

I got a 2002. I really thank everyone for there help.