HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vomitbomb

Need help getting the front sprocket off

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

The 2010 yz450 isn't reverse thread is it? I didn't think it was.

I've tried putting a block of wood between the spokes and the swing arm - still no luck. I just installed a Rekluse so I can't use the gears, doh!

Short of harnessing the power of the sun, what else can I do?

Asssuming it's like earlier YZs. Make sure the locking washer is *absolutely* flat. Soak the nut/shaft with penetrating oil and be patient for a while. Spokes are a bit springy. Try a u-bolt or similar (I use a pipe spanner) through one of the rear sprocket slots/holes if there are any to jam against the swingarm. Use a long 'breaker bar' and well fitting socket. If that fails try to beg, borrow or steal a 'rattle gun' (air impact driver)/compressor and a perfectly fitting 6 point socket.

impact gun is the easiest way,after you get the lock washer flat

Edited by STR8SHOOTR

I second the impact.. I tried and tried, I used a big long breaker bar with a cheater bar on it, I let it soak for a day with penetrating oil.. it just felt like something was going to break

so I took it to work and used an impact and it spun right off, no sweat

if you dont have access to one, load the bike up and go to a tire shop.. one of the guys in the back would be happy to do it for a couple of buck tip

A shortcut that sometimes works when you don't have access to an impact gun is just to hit the end of the wrench with a big hammer. Hard.

I have a battery powered Milwaukee 1/2 drive impact bought it on AMAZON. One of the best tools I own for MX and Auto repairs. I don't have room for a compressor and air tools right now, so this works well for me.

I use a bungee cord (a good black one) hooked on the brake pedal, going under the frame, then hooking to the subframe. It locks the back brake solid and saves spokes and spocket mounts.

That's a good idea too, except instead of a bungee cord you can just push the pedal down and stick a screwdriver through the swingarm bolt. Don't know why I didn't think of that until you mentioned the brake pedal, but it's how I keep the clutch basket steady while I tighten the pressure plate bolts.

1 person likes this

Dont bother with the bungee or screwdriver. Assuming the bike is on a stand, just get on the bike and push the rear brake down with your foot and reach down and loosen the nut with your socket wrench. It doesn't get any easier (unless you have the impact wrench ready to rock)

Dont bother with the bungee or screwdriver. Assuming the bike is on a stand, just get on the bike and push the rear brake down with your foot and reach down and loosen the nut with your socket wrench. It doesn't get any easier (unless you have the impact wrench ready to rock)

If you're fat and lazy like me you don't climb on and off any more than necessary :-)

If it is being REALLY stubborn you may need to stick a small block to tension the chain in between the chain and the swingarm. I have had this problem before and my impact wrench wouldn't touch it, the chain was allowing the front sprocket to shake around too much, as soo as I tensioned it up with a chunk of wood, it slowly spun off.

1 person likes this