Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottzx7rr

De-Comp Lever Question

13 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there is a company that makes a replacement lever for the YZ. Besides the GYT-R thumb activated, the BRP Billet one and the OEM. I had a fly-away Trailrider bike hit mine last weekend and broke the lever. So I priced a replacement from BRP and it was over $150, the GYT-R and OEM are out of stock so I can't get another for a couple of weeks which I need for a race this week and Lorretta Lynn Ride next weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Scott #410

Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"

'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)

'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR

"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"

"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Pics

Do you guys run your decompression lever up or down? Mine came in the up position from the dealer, but I notice that Ferry and other racers have them pointed down.

Up or down?

I run a combo clutch/comp lever from the XR650R. It is very light and trick. The comp lever tucks in well. A replica is available from Flanders.

I run my decomp lever in the down position also. No problems either.

'99 YZ400F

Thanks guys, I take it the real reason you run the lever down is so when you dump the bike the lever isn't compressed with the engine running (ouch!)

Obviously, this is the recommended position.

Originally posted by RetroThumper:

And, always run the lever below the bar, not on top! If it opens in a crash with your throttle wide open, you're in for a very expensive experience....

I really doubt that. Open the decomp, motor dies, end of story. This may not be true for other bikes but on my YZ the piston will not, and cannot hit the valve with the release engaged.

Having said that, I’m not about to open the throttle in neutral and then the decomp a few seconds later to see what happens. But I do use it to bump start, and even tried it on a few long downhills to see how it affected engine braking.

Believe it or not it increases it, I didn’t believe it which is why I had to try it. Probably only got up to four or five thousand rpms, but nothing ran into anything in there after a minute or so with the lever pulled.

I appreciate the advice. I was lucky to find one at a local dealer. So I will be able to race this weekend. I had my sponsor order me the thumb one from GYT-R as it is the one that I wanted.

I also run my in the down position as it is the easiest to get to when in gear and need to start fast.

------------------

Scott #410

Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"

'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)

'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR

"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"

"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Pics

"If it opens in a crash with your throttle

wide open, you're in for a very expensive

experience...." Yaa I always seem to get the throttle stuck in the dirt and the bike revving to the moon AND then the bike jumps up and falls onto the other side with the throttle still WFO and lands on the compression relese... yup happens all the time to me. And I for one am very happy when that happens all the time that IT SIMPLY STOPS THE MOTOR, and I can just stand there with my jaw on the ground in awe with wonder as to how it keeps "doing" that trick over and over andover! !! GET REAL WILL YA?

------------------

Mark...00 426 w/plates,and $4000.00 of other attachments!

When I got my '99 YZ400F, the decompression lever, cable and bracket were removed. Why I can't imagine, but it was too expensive replace it all. So I purchased the cable from the dealer and bought a small lever with a bracket from the a bicycle shop for $10. I've gone down more times than I want to admit, and it hasn't broken yet. For $10, I don't mind having to replace it if the day comes...