HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomjoens

2012 YZ450F Oil Filter

9 posts in this topic

I've never tried....butttttttttt I'm pretty positive it'd take a lot of force (or the wrong filter) to put it in/on the wrong way.

I've never tried....butttttttttt I'm pretty positive it'd take a lot of force (or the wrong filter) to put it in/on the wrong way.

I know that in previous years (prior to the '10), it was impossible to put the filter in backward without crushing it to 2/3 its original length. I would assume the same thing is still true.

There is a hole on one side of the filter and the other end is closed. There is a piece of aluminum sticking out of the case which leaves only one way for it to go on.

No the closed end has a spring on it so that if it's starts cold the oil still is allowed to pass and if the filter gets cloged it will still allow oil to pass through. You can put it in backwords.

You can push the spring in about a half inch if i knew how to post pictures I have a bunch and could show.

He's talking about the bypass valve on the closed end of the filter, and the fact that he is apparently able to jam the safety tab in the case into that hole by inserting the filter backward. Maybe, but if it's anything like the '09 and earlier models, you'd still have to try really hard to install it inside out.