What's the best oil cooler for an '05 450?

http://www.motosport...GINE-OIL-COOLER

May I ask why you are needing such a thing? I'm sure the fluidyne is an ok unit.

I have fluidyne radiators but was looking to add an oil cooler for the added cooling and capacity for an upcoming trip.

A group of us are doing an 8 day trip around the Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho & Utah area, probably around 200+ miles a day and would rather not have to carry too much extra oil for changes.

We're planning on late June, early July, so I'm afraid the heat would degrade the oil quicker than usual.

Think my concerns are unfounded? I'd love to not have to spend the money.

Oil coolers are a nicety, not a neccesity. And you don't have to carry any oil on you for your trip. Your going to be stopping for gas aren't you? Wherever they sell gas, they sell oil. We routinely do 200 mile days down in Baja, for 10 days at a time, and no one uses oil coolers. If your super concerned, just use some higher quality oil, like Maxima, and be done with it. That's just my take on the whole oil cooler debate anyhow. YRMV!

Oil coolers are a nicety, not a neccesity. And you don't have to carry any oil on you for your trip. Your going to be stopping for gas aren't you? Wherever they sell gas, they sell oil. We routinely do 200 mile days down in Baja, for 10 days at a time, and no one uses oil coolers. If your super concerned, just use some higher quality oil, like Maxima, and be done with it. That's just my take on the whole oil cooler debate anyhow. YRMV!

I go tthe same advice from a friend that is a pro ama motocross racer, he said not to waste the money and that I should just stick with a good synthetic, like Rotella T6, and I'll be fine. Apparently I wouldn' tbe hammering the engine to the point of it being an issue.

Based on that type of riding, how often would you personally change the oil and filter?

Yea. The oil is used to cool the engine, lube engine parts, lube transmission gears and lube and cool the clutch so it does take a beating. I have been changing mine every ride (usually 100 plus miles per ride) and after three changes I am getting pretty clean oil out now (I think prev owner didn't change it often enough). I also change the filter too as they are cheap but when I get a chance to go on a longer trip I would think you could stretch out the intervals by simply looking at condition of the oil on the dip stick. Oil changes only take a min, you can buy castrol and Mobil moto specific oil at autozone and rotella at any truck stop so instead of carrying a bunch I'd just pick up at qt when your in a town.

Good luck with your trip sounds awesome!

IMHO you'd be better off running Mobil1 4T Racing 10w-40 oil and forgetting about an oil cooler.

I used to use the Shell Rotella diesel oil until I saw the light. The Mobil1 is hands down better.

I've done tons of multi-day dual sport rides with over 500 - 1000 between oil changes and the Mobil1 doesnt sheer like the Rotella does.

0000-Mobil-1-Racing-4T-10W-40---.jpg

Here's a fun fact I leared about JASO-MA certification on the bottle. It must be inside a square box with the cert number to be offical. If it is simply listed in the list of specs it means that it meets those specs according to the manufacturer and was tested in house most likely.

I'm not a conspirecy theory kinda guy and I'm pretty certain Shell oil... isn't out to lie to me about the quality of their product. I'm sure there is an endless selection of base stocks and friction packages to blend oils from and everyone has a favorite (I'm trying Motorex 10-50 at the moment to see if shifting improves).

How does the Mobil 1 4T compare to the Rotella T6, not the regular Rotella synthetic

Found that after 200 miles or so the tranny didnt shift like when fresh oil was in the bike.

Were as with the mobil1, even after 1000 mile dual sport rides the tranny always shifts like butter!

I believe it comes down to the oils ability to resist sheering and being the motor and tranny share the same oil, most oils get chewed up by the tranny.

Grayracer in the YZ for should be able to provide more insight!