HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedHawk028

Flywheel GYTR or Steahly?

9 posts in this topic

Ok, I got a 2011 YZ450F and I want to install a Flywheel weight. I got the Rekluse Core EXP so I want the right one to fit what I am doing, I mainly ride woods and plan to race GNCC and WORC's races. My friends now classify me as a class "B" rider.

I got a mega question I have yet to really find answers too... I understand how they work but I just dont know anyone who has one on their bike....

GYTR 4.44oz Fly Wheel vs. Steahly 9oz OffRoad Flywheel Weight...

• Which one would work best with my Rekluse and whats the major differences or advantages between the two besides the weight?

• What would you recommend and why?

Thanks for helping :-)

I don't know which would be better, but I do know that the GYTR flywheel ADDS 4.4 oz. to the total weight of the flywheel. That's 4.4 + the weight of the stock wheel.

Is the Steahly actually listed as 9 ounces up on a stock '11?

The reason that the GYT-R is "only" 4.4 ounces heavier than stock, while their off-road flywheel for the '06-'09 is +9 ounces, is that the EFI flywheel is much larger than the older ones. That means that weight placed at the outer edge will have a vastly greater effect on rotating inertia than the same weight placed on a smaller one. Looking at the GYT-R flywheels for both, the 9+ oz. weight added to the '08 'wheel resulted in raising the inertia mass of the flywheel from 3.8 to 6.15 kg/cm². The weighted flywheel for the '11 has an inertia mass of 9.2 kg/cm².

Another question is whether the Steahly is a built flywheel with a ring welded to the outside diameter as the GYT-R products are, or is it done with a weight in the form of a disc that bolts or otherwise fastens to the center of the original flywheel, as Steahly so often did with the older units. Much of the mass of a disc is located near its center, and the closer to the center of a rotating device the weight is, the slower it will move, and the less it will affect inertia.

I'm a fan of big flywheels, particularly for how they enhance engine power at very low speeds, and for the improvement to traction, but IF the 9 ounce Steahly product is done with a ring around the outside like the GYT-R unit, I might wonder about that being heavier than I'd like. Then again, the big ol' flywheel on the WR works out just fine.

I have or have owned both on several bikes and depending on the terrain or time of year (traction, my fitness, weather and my lack of toughness, ha, to turn that throttle more) I can't tell a difference. I will say the Steahly folks are A+ in every regard.

I have an 06 yz450 with a core exp 2 and a GYTR flywheel, I love it especially in the woods. I would never go back it great at low speeds, I dont remember the last time I stalled out. I'm geared 13/49 but thinking of going to 13/50 but still undecided.

Edited by STR8SHOOTR
1 person likes this

I have an 06 yz450 with a core exp 2 and a GYTR flywheel, I love it especially in the woods. I would never go back it great at low speeds, I dont remember the last time I stalled out. I'm geared 13/49 but thinking of going to 13/50 but still undecided.

Great explanations everyone! I am running a 13/50 gearing and it's perfect in the woods. I am looking at the flame out factor... Sometimes it happens in the most crappy situations. I'm probably going to go with the GYTR flywheel but I am still undecided... I do alot of hill climbs and tight technical riding. I might benefit more from the 9oz weight...

I have the GYTR on my 450. It is one of the best things I ever did to my bike and I have done allot to it. I race hare scrambles. I can't comment on the stealthy for the yammy but I put one on my son's kawi 65. It bolted on top of the existing flywheel and then I had to put a plastic spacer around the flywheel cover. I didn't think it was the best setup. It works but my GYTR flywheel replaces the entire existing flywheel using all the stock gaskets.

My only suggestion would be to see how the steathy is made. I wouldn't recomend a weight that just bolts on to the existing flywheel. I haven't had any problems with my sons, I just like the GYTR style much better

I have the GYTR on my 450. It is one of the best things I ever did to my bike and I have done allot to it. I race hare scrambles. I can't comment on the stealthy for the yammy but I put one on my son's kawi 65. It bolted on top of the existing flywheel and then I had to put a plastic spacer around the flywheel cover. I didn't think it was the best setup. It works but my GYTR flywheel replaces the entire existing flywheel using all the stock gaskets.

My only suggestion would be to see how the steathy is made. I wouldn't recomend a weight that just bolts on to the existing flywheel. I haven't had any problems with my sons, I just like the GYTR style much better

AGREED

That's what I was wondering... I knew the Steahly was just a weight with a spacer for the cover cuz I got one for my fieonsays ktm 250sx... It works great and all but I feel better about the whole flywheel being built as a weight and I always wondered that... I'm probably gonna go with the GYTR.