What about MUD?

I read everyones advice on the "soft stuff" (sand), but what about mud? I about killed myself today! I just bought my '02 XR650R and was taking it for a spin now that it is uncorked. I noticed that when I hit mud, the front end dove and I got Squirrely! Any helpful advice? I didn't care much for the bars being cocked to the right and I am traveling almost dead straight. I hope that was just mud on my Britches? ?:D :D

i dont care what anyone says,

these bikes dont do well in mud,however i do find

hitting a mud patch at high speed easier than riding through it slowly ?

and when it comes to riding twisty muddy forest conditions

forget it,there to much power at the rear wheel, and you'll find yourself facing all directions on a compass.

you can add another 20 pounds of weight straight away.(mud)

maybe i'm wrong - there might be some trick that i dont know about :D

w

I've only rode mud once, and it was a real handful...I had the stock frt tire and it instantly packed full of the gooey stuff, and all the frt end wanted to do was slide, no turning traction at all! Now, I've replaced the tire since then, but have not gone back to the "dark side" since. Going up small trails wasn't so bad, but going downhill was terrible, a lot of feet off the pegs riding...

...when it comes to riding twisty muddy forest conditions...forget it

I can usually ride in sand without much problems (except for the super slow tight twisty stuff) and fly through a mud patch without issues, but I can't ride this bike in slow going twisty muddy conditions. To me, it's like sitting on top of a hockey puck while trying to steer it with rubber oars ?. Perhaps the right kind of tire would help along with the right experience, but I stay clear of muddy situations on this bike because the weight doesn't help much when things get slick.

Riding in the soft stuff can be tricky. The main key with the Big 4 Strokes is eliminating silence. As long as you have power on, even just a little bit it is amazing how well the Pig will get you through. Chop the throttle and yer toast.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...and before riding mud I bite the head off a bat... :D It's the Ozzy Method. ?

The first thing I did with my pig was let it play in the mud. I bought it on a Friday and decided to go to the local state riding area to break it in on Saturday. When I got there it was closed for the annual hare scrambles race. I decided to stay and watch and then thought I should just enter and ride slow and break the pig in. I joined the beginners class and started last in a field of over 300. 5 minutes into the race I would guess that I had passed over 50 2 strokes(there were bikes stuck and laying all over the place). It had rained the day before and the morning of the race. I just rode slow and stayed at a steady pace and the pig grunted through the worst mud holes and uphills like they were nothing. The bike was still corked and the tires were brand new, so that may have helped with the delivery and the traction. Since I have geared down(13t) and uncorked it seems that it don't have the bite/traction it used to have(could be the tire or the power change). I think you have to adjust for all conditions and that any current dirt bike can be made to perform well in any condition. You just need to make some concessions or be prepared to change tires/gearing/jetting/ etc. based on the current riding conditions. I did end up trying to roast the pig at the end of the race. I fell in a small leaf covered ditch and laid it over. Upon picking it up(flooded), it back fired through the carb and caught the bike and leaves on fire. I was able to put it out and get the pig started and finish the race. Top on my list after uncorking was the quicksilver upgrade to prevent future bar-b-ques.

I don't think I've ever been on a ride where there was no mud. Momentum and line selection are the keys. Always look well ahead of where you are and don't fight the bike. It's gonna move around on you so just hold the bike with your legs and keep it going in the general direction you want to go. It takes practice to gain confidence in your bike in the deep mud but it will come. :D Oh I almost forgot, the stock tires are awful in the mud. Try some Pirelli MT16's and the mud won't seem so difficult.

Don't feel too bad. I've only seen Johnny Campbell once and he was struggling like crazy in the deep mud. He was in a '96 Ohio GNCC on a sweet XR6. He was stuck at the bottom of a muddy uphill and I motored right on by. It made my day. Now if some of you guys would just teach me how to ride in the sand. ?

My pig rides mud and sand, and woods mostly. As far as mud goes, i have to agree that you need to get as far back as possible. Stand up and stay on the gas, when you hit a mud hole, crack on it. Dont use too low of a gear, you wont spin as much if you do hit something resembling traction and you can crack on it and clear the tire better. I just try to ride loose, let the bike do its thing as long as its not headed off the trail. When the wheel starts spinning, dont panic and let off the gas, shift your weight and use it to steer. For muddy hills, i dont know a good method, i usually just give her $h!^ and hope i make the top. If its clay mud, dont let it spin. Pretty much just go out and find the nastiest trail you can (bring a comealong, i have needed it) and try to make it though alive. Mud really is a personal style thing i think. But make sure you keep the front end light at all times, standing seems to help as you can pull back on the bars easier. remember, pigs are happiest in mud, and nothing throws mud like a pig. JR

One more thing, If by mud you mean muskeg or floating bog, there is only one way on a dirt bike, balls to the wall. Get the tire in the air if you can and go as fast as possible, but try not to spin if you havent cut through yet, if you have, good luck, hope you brought a winch or its not very deep, they do lose CATs in it after all.

Yep, I would agree with everyone else who said you need different tires for the mud. But even with the stock tires you can get around but it takes practice and gaining confidence in what your bike will do. A lot of throttle control also. Downhill in the mud with stock tires can be a nightmare. Sand riding is easy compared to the mud but your pig can do anything. It just takes a lot of time in the saddle.

Tires I run with good results are the Pirelli MT16 front and rear. Lower pressure and stay off the front brake in the shiny spots. Weight the outside peg on all the turns and hit the roots square or look for the

low spots on the obstacles. Mud is fun but expect to use more energy thinking and pushing.

PRAY FOR RAIN! PRAY FOR PAIN! Pain is a good thing and don't you forget it! :D?

Oh yeah, did I mention slippery rocks? They're still hard!

3656993e-d5ed-4f76-9e9b-78dddc2d7fb7.jpg