Dual sport kit for XR650R

I am trying to decide on a dual sport kit for my 02 BRP. I want one that will be easy on,easy off. I am hoping to find one that I don't have to hang the light and crap under my rear fender. I have a lot of mud in my neck of the woods, and am afraid that might collect a few pounds of it. Is there such a kit out there that I can mount ontop of the rear fender? or a kit that has a reduced size? I need to get something soon to beat the CA deadline for Dual Registration. Any recommendation on kits would be appreciated!

From the BD website:

" In response to the coalition, on Friday, August 22, 2003 DMV issued a new memo suspending the conversion ban until 1-31-04. Specifically, the new policy is:

03 and 04 Green Sticker motorcycles purchased by 12-31-03 are eligible for conversion following the procedures outlined in CHP Bulletin 888 and DMV registration manual sections 30.335 and 30.340.

The conversion process must be started by 1-31-04.

All 02 and earlier model year motorcycles with Green Sticker registration are eligible for conversion . Existing owner conversions will be allowed to renew registration indefinitely. "

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that they are saying that '03 & '04 are to be started by 1/31/04, but '02 and before are eligible any time.

PS. Nice to see the Penguins are still around. I was a member from '86-'90. I think I'll need to make a trip to Pozo this spring.

From the BD website:

" In response to the coalition, on Friday, August 22, 2003 DMV issued a new memo suspending the conversion ban until 1-31-04. Specifically, the new policy is:

03 and 04 Green Sticker motorcycles purchased by 12-31-03 are eligible for conversion following the procedures outlined in CHP Bulletin 888 and DMV registration manual sections 30.335 and 30.340.

The conversion process must be started by 1-31-04.

All 02 and earlier model year motorcycles with Green Sticker registration are eligible for conversion . Existing owner conversions will be allowed to renew registration indefinitely. "

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that they are saying that '03 & '04 are to be started by 1/31/04, but '02 and before are eligible any time.

PS. Nice to see the Penguins are still around. I was a member from '86-'90. I think I'll need to make a trip to Pozo this spring.

DMV issued a new memo suspending the conversion ban until 1-31-04. I suppose you could buy a used bike after 12/31/03.

And I dont mean to argue, especially with another Penguin, I just dont want to see someone miss out if they really wanted to DS their bike. In final I would DS now and if you find out you can do it afterwards there is no loss.

Springtime is Dual Sport ride time (what used to be the enduro).

Now that we know about the legal issue, what is the best Dual Sport Kit? I haven't heard much and am looking for some feedback. I know you guys have been doing this BRP thing longer than me. So I am trusting your judgement. I am hoping to buy this week, so please let me know.

Thanks! ?

Mine has the Baja Designs kit and instead of mounting the taillight under the rear fender I mounted it right on the fender. I took the light socket out of the kit tail light and mounted it in the stock tail light. It works perfect. I got pulled over for speeding and got a ticket. After he was done and getting ready to leave I asked him about the position of my plate. He said they did not care as long as you had current registration and insurance. That was a CHP but you can always run into someone having a bad day! ?

This is a pic of my bike with the eline Multi Sport Kit installed. It has seen over 6500 hard off road miles with zero problems. The tail light is trimmed as much as possible and the fender has a home made aluminum brace. It is strong and doesn't flex even in the worst mud. The kit is very light(around 5 lbs)and you can take it on and off in minutes. It is kind of pricey though compared to some of the other kits.

Image02xr.jpg

Baja designs quick release kit, I have it, looks great. It took less than an hour to install, probably a half hour if you are good with electronics. The rear blinkers dont stick out, they are mounted in the rear fender. Kit adds about 8 lbs. to the bike(mostly in the headlight assembly). They say you can take it off within minutes if you want to go back to stock.

I have an '02BRP and just installed a Trick Dual Sport kit. Very easy to remove on and off, (3 small plugs) disconnect electrical and the entire unit is off. Call Dale at Trick 661.268.1094. There is a set up to use the existing rear running light as the brake light that would be good for your use.

Has any mag ever reviewed/compared the ds kits? Specifically wondering if one has a significantly better lighting, or does a replacement headlight really need to be assumed for safe night riding? I had an XR600 and put the BD kit on it, headlight and tailight were pretty darn marginable for real street use. Any of them emphasise their better lighting? ?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Electres Dakar kit. Installed easily and works grest. Has a switch key that most of the others don't.

Other rec's

Did you replace the stator? Also, did the colors for your kit's wires jive with the instructions and your factory wires? Let me know. I just got the kit and mine don't jive! ?:D

http://xr650r.us/stator/index.shtml

I run a dual wound stator four posts are D/C (for the blinkers and LED brake/tail light) and six are A/C high amp output for the DHH 65/55 watt Blue star head light. I also have a ten posts wound with #16 for serious lighting. I run the stock light most of the time for the crazy riding to save money on dismounts ?