rear shock spanner nut wont turn

I have a 2012 YZ450F that I just purchased. I went through the breakin procedure then got a real good ride in before deciding to adjust my sag and suspension settings. I loosened the lock nut on the rear shock and then used a punch and a hammer to attempt to turn the spanner nut that holds the spring in place. The nut refused to turn more than a few mm's at a time. I practically beat the hell out of this thing trying to get it to turn and it simply refuses. I have been able to turn all my 250's with relative ease compared to this. I decided to go down to a local bike shop and purchase a shock spanner nut wrench. No matter how much i try i cannot get this thing to turn.

What gives? Is it cross threaded somehow? Is this normal?

What should I do? I do not want to destroy the nut by continuing to hammer it with the punch till its impossible to remove but at this point I dunno if it can be removed or even adjusted.

ANy ideas or thoughts??

2mxppqg.jpg

Edited by counteru

well, now that I cannot move the nut at all, I decided to remove the shock completely for a better look. Looking underneath the nut I can see small metal shavings so its indeed cross-threaded somehow. I have never seen this happen anyone else? What are my options? Will I have to purchase a whole new shock?

Get a spring compressor, compress the spring so you can remove the bottom retainer and drop the spring off, then use a dremmel and cut through the ring in two spots 180* apart. be patient and do not cut into the threads or at least as minimal as possible. Then use a proper sized thread file and clean any damage. Hopefully the damage is negligible; If that section of threads are wasted you can find some aftermarket aluminum rings or make a derlin plastic spacer so the lock ring s are above the damaged threads.

Get a spring compressor, compress the spring so you can remove the bottom retainer and drop the spring off, then use a dremmel and cut through the ring in two spots 180* apart. be patient and do not cut into the threads or at least as minimal as possible. Then use a proper sized thread file and clean any damage. Hopefully the damage is negligible; If that section of threads are wasted you can find some aftermarket aluminum rings or make a derlin plastic spacer so the lock ring s are above the damaged threads.

thanks, i will give that a go and report back.

welcome to the club. i think there are several new generation yz450 owners that have experienced the same problem including myself. I did exactly what SAthump said, afterwards with a new spanner nut and lock ring from factory connection i was able to use my shock normally. the stock spanner nut and lock ring junk. my bike was used when i bought it so too late to get yamaha to fix it. yours sounds like you might be able to get some help from yamaha.

Not a solution to this problem if the spanner is cross threaded, but after the lock ring is loosened, you should never have to use a hammer and punch to adjust preload. Just grab the spring with both hands and rotate it. It's far easier and quicker to adjust the sag this way.

• Like 1

Not a solution to this problem if the spanner is cross threaded, but after the lock ring is loosened, you should never have to use a hammer and punch to adjust preload. Just grab the spring with both hands and rotate it. It's far easier and quicker to adjust the sag this way.

Another point is that the adjuster ring should only be rotated while the bike's on the stand so as to relieve as much pressure from the threads as possible. Makes things much simpler.

two very valid points, but i had my bike on the stand and adjusted with my hand only. i felt it happening but didnt realize what it was until too late. not sure if it is the material the ring is made of or the shock body but something isnt right. now that i have put the factory connection ring on there i have not had any problems. also, never had any issues on my 2007 yz250f.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on how it becomes cross threaded with threads above and below ok? It's not like the it could be compressed hard enough and move and dmg the threads especially if the lock ring turns with no problem. Some times steel/aluminum mating surfaces can become stuck. Hint: antiseize!

Sorry, phone spazed out, I am aware bottom ring is alumimum. I guess the more I think about it, I guess it could be possible for the softer al ring to become smashed or peened against steel ring without visible movement.

well, now that I cannot move the nut at all, I decided to remove the shock completely for a better look. Looking underneath the nut I can see small metal shavings so its indeed cross-threaded somehow. I have never seen this happen anyone else? What are my options? Will I have to purchase a whole new shock?

happened to me on my 2010 cheap rings cut it off with a small separating disc and put on some rings fron a2007 crf 450

well i finally got the ring off and two threads on the shock were completely destroyed. I got a new ring and was able to get the right sag setting dialed in, which happen to be below the destroyed threads. I suppose this will be ok except in the future I would like to replace the destroyed shock because I assume there is no way to re-thread the shock properly without it becoming an expensive ordeal. So, can anyone suggest where I should buy a new shock?

I figure I should buy something aftermarket but looking online I am not doing to well with my searches.

I did not go back to Yamaha because I don't wanna go off on someone who might attempt to tell me it was something I did!

When I first attempted to turn the spanner nut by hand I tried turning the shock spring and it wouldn't budge, and I am more than sure that the yami shop is going to blame me and be of no help. I know that may sound crazy to some but I would rather just avoid the drama.

So, instead of going through all that I would rather just buy a new shock in the future. I think i will be ok as of now.

THanks to all that helped!

Edited by counteru

two very valid points, but i had my bike on the stand and adjusted with my hand only. i felt it happening but didnt realize what it was until too late. not sure if it is the material the ring is made of or the shock body but something isnt right. now that i have put the factory connection ring on there i have not had any problems. also, never had any issues on my 2007 yz250f.

Sorry for the temporary thread jack...

Hey phiderman, check your PM's, I want to buy your damper mount, not sure if you're getting the PM's though...