ballisticexchris

Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

1,487 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, newk75 said:

images%20(16).jpg

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

That is funny, what do you think of those steg pegz? 

33 minutes ago, newk75 said:

I don't know about him but I love mine! I really thought they were one of those "snake oil" products until getting a set for myself. For going through whoops and long hillclimbs they can't be beat. I have the pucks set all the way back. I'm thinking the puck position all depends on how you ride on the pegs. I stand on the balls of my feet.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, newk75 said:

I love them for the same reasons as Chris.  Hardly even notice them anymore they're just there doing their thing, until I ride someones bike that doesn't have them and notice right away the difference.  It's one of those simple things I probably won't be without anymore.  I was lucky and scored a set used.

4 people like this

First engine/trans oil change question... 

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

1. The bike should be level, as in, not on the side stand, correct?
  2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

10 minutes ago, nagc said:

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

1. I don't take the screen off the bolt, just spray it off with brake clean if dirty and blow with compressed air.  It's usually clean so I just blow it off.

2. I usually use needle nose pliers inside the recess spread apart to pull it. 

Trans oil:

1/2  Disregard the weep hole and just add 750ml each to both engine and trans.

3 people like this

On 6/22/2017 at 11:18 AM, nagc said:

Engine oil:

Trans oil:

I tip the bike over to get the oil filter out.  I suspect this is not the factory approved method but it works for me.