ballisticexchris

Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

1,487 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, newk75 said:


images%20(16).jpg

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Haha well I am a mechanic believe it or not, and I own an auto repair shop, and a Beta dealership.  I don't owe my first born to snap on though lol. 

So last night I removed the new FMF 4.1 Ti system and put the FMF Q4 back on.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, it's just a little too loud for me.  We're riding tonight in some nasty shit so didn't want to ding it up in case I do sell it.  Also did a stepper motor reset since I hadn't done it since loading the FMF map.

0524172221a_zpsjoijcqsj.jpg

That is funny, what do you think of those steg pegz? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, newk75 said:

That is funny, what do you think of those steg pegz? 

I don't know about him but I love mine! I really thought they were one of those "snake oil" products until getting a set for myself. For going through whoops and long hillclimbs they can't be beat. I have the pucks set all the way back. I'm thinking the puck position all depends on how you ride on the pegs. I stand on the balls of my feet.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newk75 said:

That is funny, what do you think of those steg pegz? 

I love them for the same reasons as Chris.  Hardly even notice them anymore they're just there doing their thing, until I ride someones bike that doesn't have them and notice right away the difference.  It's one of those simple things I probably won't be without anymore.  I was lucky and scored a set used.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First engine/trans oil change question... 

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

  1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

  1. The bike should be level, as in, not on the side stand, correct?
  2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nagc said:

First engine/trans oil change question... 

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

  1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

  1. The bike should be level, as in, not on the side stand, correct?
  2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

1. I don't take the screen off the bolt, just spray it off with brake clean if dirty and blow with compressed air.  It's usually clean so I just blow it off.

2. I usually use needle nose pliers inside the recess spread apart to pull it. 

Trans oil:

1/2  Disregard the weep hole and just add 750ml each to both engine and trans.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 11:18 AM, nagc said:

First engine/trans oil change question... 

I just did my first 3 hour service on my '17 390RR-S, and I have a few questions after the fact:

Engine oil:

  1. The metal filter on the oil plug - do you just pull this off? I tried but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to break it as I didn't have an extra - how often does this get changed?
  2. is there a trick to getting the old oil filter out aside from stabbing it w/ a screwdriver in frustration (or just buy that tool)? I attempted to use metal picks, but couldn't get it out

Trans oil:

  1. The bike should be level, as in, not on the side stand, correct?
  2. My dealer recommended .75l of oil - So, add the oil, THEN open the "check hole" and allow an extra oil to drain back out until it stops flowing? Is it bad to catch this oil back in the container? A bunch of oil came out when used the specified amount, and that seems like wasted brand new oil - not being cheap, just wondering. 

I tip the bike over to get the oil filter out.  I suspect this is not the factory approved method but it works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


  • Similar Content

    • By OscarFox
      PRICE DROP
      For sale is my 2015 Beta 350RR. 2734 miles and 120 hours. Just had some top end work done by Sierra BMW and BETA. Fresh air filter and oil. This is an awesome dual sport bike. Or you can strip the lights and turn signals and have a single track weapon, your choice. This bike will do it all. Unfortunately, I've been riding my 2 stroke lately and don't have room or the time to maintain 2 bikes. My loss is your gain! Front tire only has a few rides on it, the rear needs to be changed. Beta's are super reliable and amazing machines that rival KTM and Husky! 

      -Forks revalved by LT-Racing for 210# rider w/gear
      -Mylers oversized radiators and bulletproof radiator guards
      -Folding ARC clutch and brake levers (I have the stock levers as well)
      -3.1 gallon tank. (I also have the stock tank)
      -Seat concepts dual sport seat (also includes the stock seat with guts foam and motoseat seat cover)
      -FMF powercore 4 with silent core/spark arrestor. I've got the stock spark arrestor as well. Racing compliant!
      -Boano racing billet brake pedal with brake tip
      -FJ Fasst co. brake clevis
      -Billet chain blocks
      -upgraded steel oil pump gears- the plastic stock ones are prone to failure
      -Force accessories case saver
      -TMD skid plate (not pictured but will be on the bike)

      Extras:
      Acerbis X-factor handguards
      a few spare plastics pieces
      key switch with plug and play wiring
      extra tubes and rimlocks
      Printed and bound owners manual and service manual
      10mm billet bar risers

      It's a dirt bike so it has some cosmetic damage. Some chipped plastic and scratches on the swingarm. 

      Can send more pictures/info upon request
    • By makavellu
      Hi guys ,
      Mounting and dismounting the rear wheel I`ve broken the safety piece in the rear brake .
      I cannot see the piece in the Beta parts Diagram.
      It`s ok to ride without this piece ?
      Thanks

    • By Elite Motorsports
      Hey Everyone, 
      I just wanted to give everyone an update on how the Alta Redshift MX did at the RMEC Hard Rock Enduro in Colorado. Don was able to get a 2nd place finish (would have been first if not for a flat rear tire) in the A 50 + class and 17th overall. The bike was absolutely amazing on the technical rocky terrain. 
      Race Info:
      6 laps that averaged 23 minutes per lap a little over 2 hours of actual racing time Don was able to sneak in about 35-40 minutes of charging total using a 220v generator. Raced the entire race in Map 1 on the Alta The Alta does require a little more strategy for Longer format Enduro racing, but it is very competitive against gas bikes! 
      Here is the link to the YouTube video of the race from Don's helmet cam.
       
    • By hawaiidirtrider
      This just came on my subs.. Cool!!!!