WRF 450, starter question

This bike will not start ,I can hear the starter motor turning but it will not start. It start on kick though, anybody .. Somebody says it might be the torque limiter or the stater clucth, which one help please anybody who have the same problem. ?

Thank you people

Are you sure it's an 04? 03's have different starter gears on them that cause issues (search 03 starter) but upgrading to 04 parts will cure it.

Otherwise like was mentioned you need to tear it apart and see what's bad.

I only ask about the year because if the differences in the starters and the fact the bikes look exactly the same. Without titles and such like street bike has its easy for this to get messed up: a few years ago I got a "95" RM125 to fix and flip only to find out it was a 92 after a parts supplier had me look at the mfg date on the rims. They looked exactly the same and had no differences except to the electrical system and fork internals, the 2 things broken!!!

Do a VIN check to be sure.

• Like 1

Easy to spot an '03. The starter idler cover is flat. All years 2004 - 2011 the cover is domed. Of course if it's an '03 with the upgraded parts it will have a domed cover as well.

Edited by PBDBLUE

Easy to spot an '03. The starter idler cover is flat. All years 2004 - 2011 the cover is domed. Of course if it's an '03 with the upgraded parts it will have a domed cover as well.

The one I have is flat so this is an 03, I read on another thread that the 04 has a torque limiter ,so a torque limiter is there to prevent something from getting over torque to prevent a part or parts from breaking, since the 03 do not have a limiter what are/is the part that was broken for this bike not to start by push button start(the battery is fresh and charge) Helpppp. Thank you for all those who will respond.

The one I have is flat so this is an 03, I read on another thread that the 04 has a torque limiter ,so a torque limiter is there to prevent something from getting over torque to prevent a part or parts from breaking, since the 03 do not have a limiter what are/is the part that was broken for this bike not to start by push button start(the battery is fresh and charge) Helpppp. Thank you for all those who will respond.

What exactly is it doing when you push the starter button? You say the starter is turning, what does it sound like? high speed free-wheeling like it isn't turning anything but itself? or grinding? screeching? anything?

Since the 2003 does not have the torque limiter and it only has an idler gear that part is not likely to fail in a manner that will cause the starter to not turn the engine.

If your starter motor is healthy and is turning my guess would be the starter one-way clutch on the back of the flywheel has failed. However, these normally do not "go quietly" The protest loudly as they go through their death throes so you usually get a bit of warning when it is about to die.

But we really need more details to give more accurate speculations...

Pull the idler gear cover off and inspect the condition of the gears inside. Take the idler out and try to turn the big gear on the left with your finger or a screwdriver. It should turn in one direction only, and not move at all in the other direction.

Let us know what you find in there...