HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Parx_400

6.6 gal tank on a wr426.

15 posts in this topic

I have been looking around for answers to this and have come up short. I want to know if anyone else has a yz/wr 400/426 with the Acherbis 6.6 tank off a WR450 on it. I know that it will require the full yz450 body swap to do. I found 1 picture off a site overseas that looks like someone has done it. The only concerning part would be can you move it up far enough to the neck filler. Here is the picture I found.

IMG_3385.jpg

Not really what your asking for, but another option for more fuel on the 426 can be found at Baja Designs. They have a side panel tank that holds 1.2g and may be a good option when combined with common 3+ gal tanks from Clarke, IMS , Acerbis etc...

I have the 6.6 gallon tank for my '06 WR450, and I've also got an old Acerbis 3 gallon tank for one of my old 426's. When I tried to mount the 3 gallon tank on the 450, the gas tank mounting bolts are in a slightly different position. Can they be made to work? Hmmmm............... probably, with enough work I'm sure you could make the tank fit somehow. What does Acerbis say? Do they not make the 6.6 for the 426?

Maniac

ya if this wont work my next option is that baja D tank. I have not head great things about it though. that would give me 4.5 gal. That will be cutting in close for the kind of rides I have been doing. I would like to have 220 Miles in a tank. The other option is getting the WR 4 gal but then I have to use the short wr seat. I never like that on my wr400 and switched the the yz seat and 3.3 gal tank right away.

The 6.6 is made for the 450 so i'm sure they wil say it wont work. I know the bolt holes don't match up but there are ways to take care of that doing the 450 body sway.

I found a used 6.6 for 150 so I'm going to pick it up.

That's A LOT to carry around! WHY?

Why? Mainly because he says he needs the fuel capacity for the trips he has planned. That would be the most logical reason as to why.

Maniac

"That's A LOT to carry around! WHY?"

Why?, Perhaps it is because she has pretty eyes, and a great personality

Why? Mainly because he says he needs the fuel capacity for the trips he has planned. That would be the most logical reason as to why.

Maniac

Bingo. I do some long camp off the bike rides where I need over 200 miles between gas stops. When I had this tank on my old 450 it did not feel bike so long as you only put 4 gal in it. When its full though man its a pig.

Any ways if anyone has tried this let me know. I found a used tank now I just need to find someone with a 426 in Sacramento and see how it sits on the bike.

I would love to do rides where I needed 7 gallons of gas at a time

That WR looks like the front end is sagging from the weight of the fuel

ill bet fuel cell foam would help out a lot with that a 6.6 gallon tank

Bingo. I do some long camp off the bike rides where I need over 200 miles between gas stops. When I had this tank on my old 450 it did not feel bike so long as you only put 4 gal in it. When its full though man its a pig.

Any ways if anyone has tried this let me know. I found a used tank now I just need to find someone with a 426 in Sacramento and see how it sits on the bike.

Understood. I can squeeze that out of my Clark 3.6 if I really wanted to, that's why I have it. Likewise, I rarely fill it up that full since it feels even more top-heavy when off-road. I would think that adding 40 pounds to the front of a WR that has the potential to slosh around would be tricky on anything other than asphalt. Then again, dumping a bike on asphalt with 6.6 gallons of gas in a plastic tank between your legs would be a whole new experience that I don't think I would enjoy either. If you go this route, I'd be interested in your evaluation of how the bike rides.

1 person likes this

I've got the 6.6 on my WR450 and have to fill it completely while down in Baja. Yes, it adds a lot of weight up high and forward on the bike, but i also run stiffer springs to help out. The only time strange handling shows up is after you burn thru a gallon or so. Then when you bend it around a corner, about a second and a half later the bike tries to fall over! Come to find out that this is happening due to the fuel sloshing over. Will probably try some fuel tank foam to minimize this effect this year.

Maniac

I did a ride with motard wheels on my wr450 with the 6.6 gal full once. It was not fun. I plan to have the forks and stock set up for the extra weight. the only times wit will be full I will also have a Giant Loop bag on the back with overnight camp gear. I have been running my long trips with a Dakar 650 that is tricked out with a yz front and longer travel rear shock. its fun but I miss ripping in the dez with my old 400 and 450. There is only so much fun you can have with 380 pounds. BTW it has a 4.1 gal tank plus I have a 1 gal rotopax on the back. Its FI and I can do 220 no problem.

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMAG1037.jpg

DSCF0222-1.jpg

6.6 isnt bad, you get used to it and it feels normal, as long as sag is set up correctly. I usually leave this on my 450 and occassionaly put the 3.1 back on. I have had the 6.6 for quite a few years now and it gets me over 250 per tank. Which is needed for this type of riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14659188#post14659188

It sure make life easier then packing gas bottles and stuff like that.

1 person likes this

Team Oatmeal Pie, I read that story of yours all the time! What a great trip, and excellent story telling!!! :thumbsup:

Maniac