Earlier model WR400's - problems?

Given my budget, I'm looking at getting an earlier model WR400. Are there any issues I need to know about in relation to bikes manufactured in particular years?

Given my budget, I'm looking at getting an earlier model WR400. Are there any issues I need to know about in relation to bikes manufactured in particular years?

Not anything in particular that I can think of. They probably got better each year, I b'leve the rod changed from '98 to '99, and the earlier water pumps were leak prone (def. not a deal killer however). Frame geometry may have changed slightly in '99 also, handlebar position moved forward in '00. Lighter swingarm in '02, just more crap like that.

Finding one that has low(er) hours, better maint., is I think more significant that avoiding any one year model.

Good luck.

I have a '99 with over 6000 miles....no problems whatsoever with mine....seems I recall they had a problem with the kickstarters in '98. They weren't very beefy and most riders weren't used to kickin something so difficult :)

I loved mine til it got yanked.

No major problems with my 99. Crappy wheel bearings,not enough grease in the sterring stem and swingarm linkage from the factory. They can also eat throtle cables.

thats about it.

:thumbsup:I have a 98 wr 400 and it has never caused me any trouble . The bike it a easy starter once you get the routine down . :)

99 WR 400... Just put if up for sale today, but ZERO problems with the bike. Great machine. :)

Bryan