HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtahoe

chain snnapped and put hole in case

12 posts in this topic

How much of a fluke is this chain broke case and let out all oil bummer! Anyone else ever seen or gone through this .Looks like a big expensive job..

08 yz lucky it was not mine, but my buudy has no idea what he is in for...probably 2000 miles. mine has case chain guard :)

08 yz lucky it was not mine, but my buudy has no idea what he is in for...probably 2000 miles. mine has case chain guard :)

That doesn't mean a thing. You really think 2 little 6 mm bolts that guard is held on with is going to hold a bunched up chain under power back?

1 person likes this

That doesn't mean a thing. You really think 2 little 6 mm bolts that guard is held on with is going to hold a bunched up chain under power back?

No garentees but, sure rather have it than not to take the blow instead on the case...

only thing a case guard helps against is a loose link slapping the case which causes a crack.... not a wadded up ball of chain. Which (knock on wood), hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

to the OP, your buddy has two options;

1. he ponies up the prolly close to 3-4 large to fix his bike (new case, bearings, seals) or;

2. he parts the bike and "hopefully" recuperates some of his costs in the bike (which never works, too many low ballers out there), or;

3. he pulls the ultimate cheap option and JB welds the case hoping it doesn't blow cause it's lost oil and throw a rod thru the case 20 miles into a bush,

good luck my friend.

only thing a case guard helps against is a loose link slapping the case which causes a crack.... not a wadded up ball of chain. Which (knock on wood), hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

to the OP, your buddy has two options;

1. he ponies up the prolly close to 3-4 large to fix his bike (new case, bearings, seals) or;

2. he parts the bike and "hopefully" recuperates some of his costs in the bike (which never works, too many low ballers out there), or;

3. he pulls the ultimate cheap option and JB welds the case hoping it doesn't blow cause it's lost oil and throw a rod thru the case 20 miles into a bush,

good luck my friend.

He found a new used one for $2000 now has plenty of parts

True ...