Leaking Valves

Soaking the head overnight with WD-40 works well to loosen carbon. Most of it will come right off.

Use your normal favorite engine oil for assembly and break in. The cylinder should be oiled for piston and ring assembly, but don't overdo it. Don't build it dry, either. Wipe a light film of oil onto the bore and piston/rings and assemble it.

Moly assembly lube can be used sparingly on the cam lobes if you want, but engine oil works fine.

Brother Gray, the WD has been hard at it for 6 hours and not really made a dent...time to have it tanked at a machine shop?

First off dont buy a new cylinder send it to Millinium Technologys in WI. They can replate the cylinder for less than what a new one costs and the plating they do will last a lot longer. No disrepect meant to Grayracer but every engine builder I know (including myself) seats the rings in the cylinder dry. If you are not confident in doing it that way then at least use non synthetic oil for break in. On getting the carbon off I use contact cleaner. Its takes a little bit of scrubbing with a small wire brush but I can usually get the combustion chamber looking almost brand new.

Where at in Washington BTW?

Edited by Charlie755

First off dont buy a new cylinder send it to Millinium Technologys in WI. They can replate the cylinder for less than what a new one costs and the plating they do will last a lot longer. No disrepect meant to Grayracer but every engine builder I know (including myself) seats the rings in the cylinder dry. If you are not confident in doing it that way then at least use non synthetic oil for break in. On getting the carbon off I use contact cleaner. Its takes a little bit of scrubbing with a small wire brush but I can usually get the combustion chamber looking almost brand new.

Where at in Washington BTW?

Thanks for the cylinder advice Charlie, but I have a race to get to on Sunday and time is of the essence! Combustion chamber is about 99% clean it is the valves and inner working of the head that is filthy with carbon.

I live right outside of Oly. You?