2014 YZ450

"Significant" is a subjective word. I don't know about you, but in my mind, moving the muffler (probably 70% of the exhaust system weight) forward 4-5" is significant. In spite of the fact that the muffler hasn't been moved forward of the CG, it has unquestionably moved forward, as well as downward.

Which is great for centralizing mass and giving the bike a lighter feel overall, however I don't believe it will put any noticeable amount back on the front end.

Which is great for centralizing mass and giving the bike a lighter feel overall, however I don't believe it will put any noticeable amount back on the front end.

After moving a 5 pound silencer 5" forward, you'd be able to measure the front/rear weight distribution change with a scale, I expect. Besides no one said that it was done to put weight on the front wheel, only that it moves weight forward, which it unquestionably does. When you're talking about moving weight located behind the CG towards the CG it both centralizes the mass AND moves weight forward, no matter how you want to spin it.

Fair enough!

Still seems like we would be taking about ounces and not pounds though.

Edited by FinchFan394

After moving a 5 pound silencer 5" forward, you'd be able to measure the front/rear weight distribution change with a scale, I expect. Besides no one said that it was done to put weight on the front wheel, only that it moves weight forward, which it unquestionably does. When you're talking about moving weight located behind the CG towards the CG it both centralizes the mass AND moves weight forward, no matter how you want to spin it.

This is the proper way to think about it. It's about weight (or force) in relation to CG that is the crux of the issue with the YZ.

Another way to look at it is with reference to the engine mod.

Using the formula of Weight X Arm = Moment (weight X distance = force) Moving the 70lb. engine forward 2.5 mm equals a moment (force) reference of 175.

Now using an example assuming the "tornado" portion of the exhaust weighs 3 lbs. and is located 6" (150mm)behind the CG and the new pipe layout puts much of that weight 6" forward of the CG you're talking about a change of moment (force about CG) of 3 lbs. X 12" (300mm) = a force reference of 900 where 450 units that were aft of CG are now forward of it.

A big difference. Even more than the engine mod.

Wow look at what three pounds can do...imagine what your 180# can do moved forward an inch.......

You see this whole wrapping the header around the cylinder reminds of the guys putting CF on their bikes to save weight. I could not drink Coke for a week and probably save double what the CF will.

Wow look at what three pounds can do...imagine what your 180# can do moved forward an inch.......

You see this whole wrapping the header around the cylinder reminds of the guys putting CF on their bikes to save weight. I could not drink Coke for a week and probably save double what the CF will.

Preachin to the choir bro. :cool:

Hope that Josh Grant and Brayton can give the yz450f some good results ! I cant believe all the crap this great bike gets after Stewarts drama show.