04 wr450 wiring woes

Hi guys-

I am re-doing the wiring on an 04 wr450f. Had a Baja Designs kit on it, hackjob. Returning everything to stock. Behind the front headlight, on the right side (looking at the bike) are two connectors. One has two black wires coming out the top, the other a black/white stripe, and a green/ yellow stripe. The black/black connector is on the outside. Any help as to where these 4 wires go would be greatly appreciated, as the factory wiring diagram leaves much to be desired.

After going through the stickys or "pinned" threads, no mention of a pdf file, or a diagram. I've got the factory manual for the bike, but the diagram in there is basic, and doesn't show pathways. Anybody have a stock 04 they don't mind taking a picture of the wiring behind the front headlight?

Hi guys-

I am re-doing the wiring on an 04 wr450f. Had a Baja Designs kit on it, hackjob. Returning everything to stock. Behind the front headlight, on the right side (looking at the bike) are two connectors. One has two black wires coming out the top, the other a black/white stripe, and a green/ yellow stripe. The black/black connector is on the outside. Any help as to where these 4 wires go would be greatly appreciated, as the factory wiring diagram leaves much to be desired.

The 4 connectors on your harness behind the headlight connect to;

-Start switch (2 wire, Blue/Red & Blue/Black)

-Kill switch (2 wire, Black & Black/White)

-Clutch switch (2 wire, Black & Blue/Yellow)

-Ignition switch (4 wire, Brown, Black, Red, Red/Black)

Then obviously you've got the headlight connector. Which is a 2 wire setup (Yellow & Black)

It is possible that the sheilding has faded. I would start by chasing the wire and figure out where the other end of that wire connects to.

• Helpful 1

After chasing down a factory kill switch, and factory light switch, I am on the way. I still have no light on the main ignition switch when the battery is hooked up, and no power from the main starter relay. I just put new relays (both of them) in, as well as new fuses. I've checked the wiring, nothing is pinched. I've disconnected the clutch switch at the connector, does that disable it, or is there something more I need to do? I have a ZipTy blockoff plate on order. My next step is to put on new diodes (both of them) and then go from there. Any suggestions??

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have an 05 WR450 that had some mods to it. The clutch switch wires were stripped and tied together, and I removed the headlight. Somewhere in the process of removing modifications I broke my starter relay, and I also can't kick start it. I get no spark. I have a feeling maybe I took off a ground or grounded something. I've gone through the manual and checked all the electricals. Everything seems to be in spec except for the starter relay.

Edited by Edgar Mora

After chasing down a factory kill switch, and factory light switch, I am on the way. I still have no light on the main ignition switch when the battery is hooked up, and no power from the main starter relay. I just put new relays (both of them) in, as well as new fuses. I've checked the wiring, nothing is pinched. I've disconnected the clutch switch at the connector, does that disable it, or is there something more I need to do? I have a ZipTy blockoff plate on order. My next step is to put on new diodes (both of them) and then go from there. Any suggestions??

Not too positive but does the 04 have a running light? Like the newer models? Also if it’s anything like the 12-15 headlights don’t turn on until bike starts. And current switches over. Not sure for the 04’s tho.

Doesn’t explain power to the starter relay however, does it have a kickstand sensor?

Clutch switch changes nothing but it will try to start in gear without clutch pulled in.
  • Helpful 1

I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have an 05 WR450 that had some mods to it. The clutch switch wires were stripped and tied together, and I removed the headlight. Somewhere in the process of removing modifications I broke my starter relay, and I also can't kick start it. I get no spark. I have a feeling maybe I took off a ground or grounded something. I've gone through the manual and checked all the electricals. Everything seems to be in spec except for the starter relay.

Not the greatest idea but have you attempted crossing the relay with a screwdriver to see is it getting power? Or a test light/multi-meter they would show power if it’s there but only crossing the terminal with metal would let you know if the internals of the relay are bad.
  • Helpful 1

Hi Deetle15,

I checked the starter relay by crossing it and found that it does get power. So now I really don't have an idea of what it could be. I've tried also connecting the blue and yellow wires to the headlight together, but still get nothing. I will go through it again today and make a list of all the things checked. 

Ok, turns out I had had the terminals to the starter relay switched. I don't know if that explains why I didn't have spark, maybe it wasn't grounding right? I don't know. But I installed the starter relay the correct way and the light on the main switch turned on, and after a few kicks (and a fresh carb clean) the bike started right up and sounds wonderful. 

If anyone needs the ohm specs for any part of the electrical system, let me know. I'm happy to check the service manual for you.

Thanks,

Edgar