2012 WR 450 Owners....One Simple Question

I am looking at buying a 2012 wr 450. I am a fairly aggressive rider who likes the torque of the 4 stroke, open trails aswell as tight stuff. I've had two DRZ's, a wr 426f and exc 525.

I've always liked the idea of the wr 450, and have heard good things about its reliability. I am a bit of a freak when it comes to maintenace and oil changes, and do them often; about every 300 kms regardless of the dirt bike.

I just want a reliable, strong bike that still feels fairly nimble and light for me. I'm 6.3" 250 so the diff. between this bike and something 30 lbs less is not a big deal to me. I've been raping my hopped up drz 434 in the woods for the las 4 years, and it weighs a tonne by comparison.

Besides the FI, and teething problems on hot/cold starts that some are experiencing on the 2012, my one simple question is this........

How do you like your 2012 WR 450F?

Thanks

well, if I had a 2012, I'm darn sure I will be telling you that I Luv it. it will take year to get the bugs out (if any), but nothing a good mechanic can't take care of. You did the research, now go get the damn thing. LOL. best bike for the Buck...

but then, who am I. I've only owned an 05 and 08 WR's and can't say anything negative about them either.

I had a 02 YZ 426, 06 YZ250F, 08 YZ450, I bought them new and loved them. So this is my first WR, but so far so good. Of course it's better than the YZ's for off road. I love is the suspension and it's pretty smooth in the rock gardens. The braking is good, I like how the front brake is not grabby at all. The power delivery is instant and really smooth coupled with a trials tire in the rear it is even more impressive. I just recently put a GPR 4 stabilizer on, though it really didn't need it I had it left over from my YZ and it's too expensive not to use. But yeah, between that and the suspension it soaks up some pretty gnarly terrian pretty easily. I ride tight mt single track and have found it turns really well and does not feel like a big bike when you ride it, now at 273lbs (mine is now probably 275) picking it up is another story, but you get use to it. Because of this site, you probably know all about the starting issue, witch is mostly the e start when its cold (no surprise at all) or when it's really hot, let it cool a minute and it works just fine. That being said it kicks over first or second kick everytime. Well I've laid a beating on mine and it runs great, even had it completly upside down the other day for over a minute and it started first kick. Yes, I would say I love my WR.

Love it. The more I beat it up the happier the bike seems. Runs way better now 600 miles later then it did when I bought it.

Get the Comp ECU and the FMF exhaust and you're done doesn't need anything else. The power comes on and just keeps going. You can lug it if you need to, and tractor it up hills with the diesel truck like torque.

I am 6'3" 230 with gear and once I figured out the clicker settings the suspension is great. From high speed desert riding, to rocky technical trails, it does whatever you want it to.

All things considered it doesn't "feel" heavy, its very happy changing directions. My riding buddy has a 2003 steel frame WR 450 and we got in an argument he didn't believe me that my bike weighed more then his which is does by 5-10 pounds. He swore to me my bike was 15-20 lighter after riding it. He couldn't believe how nimble it was after riding it.

two complaints both small:

1. starting problems when riding, only if you stall the bike. If i shut it down no problems starting up.

2. Front tire grip is a little awkward at times. It slips a little before it grips in looser conditions. Going to try a different front/rear tire here once the factory ones are done.

The gas tank size is a general complaint but I've been able to get 70 miles on it no problem. Probably could push it and get 80+. I fill it to the brim though even though they say not to, but you get almost an extra .25-.5 gallon. I also carry a small 1 liter bottle of fuel with me just in case.

Front headlight is actually good enough to ride at night with as well.

buy one you won't be disappointed :ride:

Edited by supermega1

Get it, if you don't like it you can sell it to me for $5k next spring!!

I love mine about 400 miles just get better all the time I bouht the programer helps on the start up although it doesnt have much adustment the drd exhaust works well

Thanks for the replys boys....nice to hear.

At this point, I am 50/50 between this bike and another. I cannot the 2012 wr 450 street plated....and that is a concern for me. I don't ride on the road, but if I need to access a trail, or drive 5 kms to another on the main roads somewhere, I like having that piece of mind. That's the one "kicker" for me........

The other bike is a 2010 RMX 450, with a tonne of goodies ($2200 worth). Owned by a good friend of mine who treated it well with frequent amsoil oil changes. Only 30 hrs.......and street plated.

Decisions........

I passed on the 12WR mainly b/c I can't get a brand new bike plated. That is Yamaha's problem, which I think is total BS. They don't care b/c market is too small to them. I would get the RMX if the deal was good. Wait a year or so and pick up a 12WR already plated and sorted for 60% of the price.

FI really isn't that big of deal once you get the FCR tuned properly, I rode my 09 at 12000 ft in Colorado on vacation and my South La. jetting was fine. I was all worried for nothing....

I passed on the 12WR mainly b/c I can't get a brand new bike plated. That is Yamaha's problem, which I think is total BS. They don't care b/c market is too small to them. I would get the RMX if the deal was good. Wait a year or so and pick up a 12WR already plated and sorted for 60% of the price.

FI really isn't that big of deal once you get the FCR tuned properly, I rode my 09 at 12000 ft in Colorado on vacation and my South La. jetting was fine. I was all worried for nothing....

Yeah....my buddy who runs the Yammi/Suzuki Dealership is really taking care of me on my 04 KLX 400 trade. More than I would even ask for privately. The RMX was his Demo last year, and very well set up! Only thing missing is the Rekluse I'm going to try and sweet talk him into......

The Yamaha WR 450 was my first choice over the KTM 500 EXC and the RMX 450Z, but no way for getting a "Y" Plate here in New Brunswick, Canada (Street Plate). Been doing quite a bit of research on the RMX, and no issues that i can really find.....or any I can't live with.

Thanks for the replys

Just got my 20012. Wow.

I had an 03 that had all the go fast mods and was plated.

This new bike still has the throttle screw in with no mods has more low end hit that my full blown 03.

I am very pleased so far.

I am on my second tank of gas and took out the throttle stop and the pea shooter last night.

Haven't ridden it with these mods. I also need to take out the snorkel and it will be good to go.

I talked to a reliable Yamaha source and he found no maping change is necessary with these mods.

Man the bike is narrow. It lower, narrower, and has more ground clearance than my old bike.

I really feels lighter. I can't wait to get push it. I have been taking it easy breaking it in.

It was difficult to find neutral and I had to push the button a few times to get it started.

Now that it has a tank of gas through it, it starts in gear and neutral is already easier to find.

They are really tight when new. With a little time all should be great.

The seat seems stiff, but time will tell.

So far so good.

Now I have to go through the drill to get it plated.