HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoundChaser

Clutch disengagement...

7 posts in this topic

Hey Folks-

Anybody ever experience a situation where the clutch doesn't appear to disengage? (re-reading that I should probably say more)

A day after some track-bashing I was trying to roll my bike out of the garage for a wash, and even after pulling in the clutch lever it would not disengage the clutch. I can shift fine into neutral or any other gear, but when in gear it will not roll(this is when the engine is not running). This happened before, so I tore the clutch apart and measured the plates and all was in spec. and no glazing on friction plates.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be concerned ???

Originally posted by SoundChaser:

Hey Folks-

Anybody ever experience a situation where the clutch doesn't appear to disengage? (re-reading that I should probably say more)

A day after some track-bashing I was trying to roll my bike out of the garage for a wash, and even after pulling in the clutch lever it would not disengage the clutch. I can shift fine into neutral or any other gear, but when in gear it will not roll(this is when the engine is not running). This happened before, so I tore the clutch apart and measured the plates and all was in spec. and no glazing on friction plates.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be concerned ???

Your bike shouldn't roll while it's in gear!! At all!!

Now if I'm reading this right, If the clutch wouldn't disengauge that would make it roll all the time??

J-Bone,

Sorry, If I confused you, but I think Boit caught my drift....Say for instance it's in first gear, you pull in the clutch, you should be able to roll it forward, or backward for that matter. It will not roll as if the clutch hadn't been pulled in at all. If Boit's right, the clutch is dragging and believes that to be normal.

Boit thanks for seeing through my feeble attempt at journalism!

Yeah, I knew what you meant cuz I noticed it with my bike. I think J_Bone was yanking your chain.

Yes, I have experienced this problem (or very close). I was having problems with the clutch not disengaging completely ('00 426) and it had a sort of vague feel. I took the clutch apart, couldn't find anything wrong, except that there was very excessive play in the inner hub where the splined steel bushing is supposed to be solidly cast into the aluminum hub. Crazy as it sounds, I put it back together and went riding at Elsinore (I think I briefly met someone going by the name J-dem-bones that day, not sure if it's the same person as J-bones in this post).

Anyway, after a few laps of whining about how my clutch wouldn't disengage completely and how tough it was to ride in tight corners (and shift) I suddenly had no drive in all gears, and had to push it.

When I took it apart, it was apparent that the bushing had started to spin within the hub, giving no drive. It had cooled, so the bushing couldn't be moved at that point (expansion rates of aluminum and steel being different, the alum. hub had simply contracted around the steel bushing).

Everything looks so clear after the fact, but - when the hub bushing started to loosen (nope, the nut wasn't loose), it allowed the hub and pressure plate to lift off at an angle, and not allow the plates to disengage completely, thereby causing the draggy clutch.

When you look at the nut holding your clutch inner hub, the lockwasher should be in perfect shape, with tabs pointing back into the hub. If the lockwasher looks flattened and mangled, then the hub is rotating (1/16 to 1/8 turn) and rocking back and forth, and you are very close to loosing your clutch. There has been more than one report of this problem.

If the lockwasher looks like new - well, then disregard everything above. smile.gif

------------------

Holeshot's Page