Help a newbie please! Couple 426 ?s

Hello all, new to TT, been doing a lot of lurking but need some advice on my (new to me) 2000 426.

The trail tech vapor came with the bike, everything with it seems to work great, but the rpm's seem weird. There's a major jump in rpms after about 6000, with just a small increase in throttle, it will jump to what it's saying is like 12k+. From what I can tell, the sensor is direct wire to the coil. Is the vapor just acting up? Or is it really doing that? In fifth gear going about 60mph on paved road I'll see 16k quite often. Stock gearing (I think) at 14/49 right now. Suggestions on something better for on road use? Bike has a dual sport kit and I plan on using it to move around town a bit.

The bike runs very strong, starts pretty damn easy in my opinion... Usually 3 kicks give or take.

Previous owner said top and bottom end just replaced a few months ago. I'm paranoid about this 'ticking' sound I hear coming from what would be passenger side of the engine... Sounds kind of like an exhaust leak I guess. I shot a video and will try and post it to get some ideas on the sound... It's different from the 'clacking' sound I can also hear. Not too concerned about the clacking since I hear it on most bikes like mine, and have done a fair amount of reading about it, but more so the ticking. I'll post a YouTube link, hopefully you can hear the noise.

Sorry for any dumb questions or statements, just in the learning stage, and want to make sure mike bike treats me well, as I plan to do the same to it. Thanks for the help! TT is great to have around!

probably just the valves from the clearance of the cam to the buckets.As for 16K tach reading its definately wrong,I know they have a rev limiter and its nowhere near that.

Definitely something wrong with the Vapor readout for RPM. My WR has a rev limiter at 11,500 rpm (if I remember correctly) and the YZ is somewhere around there if not exactly the same. With stock 14/50 gearing I run out of engine around 80-85 mph, depending on the dirt but I am not at the rev limiter. I'm not certain exactly HOW different the gear ratios are between the WR and YZ but I would be surprised if the would be 20-25 mph on the top end.

As far as the sound goes, my bike sounds almost exactly the same and I know there are no mechanical problems.

Edited by Pooley

Thanks for the help guys, I feel a lot better now... Read a couple posts about powering the vapor from the headlight loom, not sure how mine is wired, gonna check it out today... I hear wiring directly to the mag/generator side, before the switch (key switch?) will help... I think I can possibly figure that out.

As for gearing... 14/49 right now... Think 14/43 would be a good choice?

Edited by rknaub

Thanks for the help guys, I feel a lot better now... Read a couple posts about powering the vapor from the headlight loom, not sure how mine is wired, gonna check it out today... I hear wiring directly to the mag/generator side, before the switch (key switch?) will help... I think I can possibly figure that out.

As for gearing... 14/49 right now... Think 14/43 would be a good choice?

If this is a YZ426, the power source you're using could be the problem. That system essentially has no provision to power anything whatsoever other than the ignition, and produces only AC current. You might run the Vapor off a dry cell battery and see if it behaves better.

Gearing depends on what you're doing with the bike, and again on whether it's a YZF or a WR, but 14/43 is way too tall to be effective in the dirt with the close ratio trans the YZ has.

If this is a YZ426, the power source you're using could be the problem. That system essentially has no provision to power anything whatsoever other than the ignition, and produces only AC current. You might run the Vapor off a dry cell battery and see if it behaves better.

Gearing depends on what you're doing with the bike, and again on whether it's a YZF or a WR, but 14/43 is way too tall to be effective in the dirt with the close ratio trans the YZ has.

Sorry, yes, a YZ426F. I tried wiring vapor directly to my battery... It was a bit better, but not good enough to warrant me running another wire to it... Guess I'll just live with that.

As for gearing.. I plan on using it to get around town with, quick trips to the store, buddies house, etc. with the ever so occasional trip to the mountains for an easy trail ride.

Thanks for the tips!

Battery with a 426??? I am assuming you have a dual sport kit installed then.

Battery with a 426??? I am assuming you have a dual sport kit installed then.

Correct, thought I mentioned this.. Looking back it looks like I didnt.

as far as the engin noise you mentioned earlyer its a yamaha clickity clack means its ready for the track. I got a 99 400 its great for the woods and yes it goes clickity clack and i ride single track