W85W58

2012 WR450 Starting woes

509 posts in this topic

Did you have to change the plug for it to work?  Did the center wire that went to the original plug have to be swapped with one of the other wires?  I got the Chinese tool that looks like yours, but it never worked.

No the plug that came with it worked. I just wanted to make it right. The wires and pins outs are the same.

No the plug that came with it worked. I just wanted to make it right. The wires and pins outs are the same.

Thanks.  I'm not sure what is up with mine.  A few of us ordered them, and never got it to work.

Here's the real kicker. The box the dealerships FI tool was in had the original paperwork in it, instructions etc. One of the papers was a flyer for the service manager for the "YFM700R Raptor & XF50 scooter autoship tool shipment."

This special listed the price to the dealer at...wait for it...$65.25, normally $102.95 dealer price.  It was offered by K&L O.E. Division, which is a wholeseller so they do not sell to the general public. I'm wondering though, if you have a business (business license etc) could you setup an account with them and buy the FI tool?

Thanks.  I'm not sure what is up with mine.  A few of us ordered them, and never got it to work.

I'll bet I could make it work.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/2013824355.html

Would this work?

2014 WRR-Totalled

2012 WR450F-Stolen

2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

I believe this is the Chinese knock-off some people have. Should work. You'll want to get or make an adapter to go from 3 pin triangular connector to inline 3 pin connector.  Anyone else care to elaborate?

Looks kind of similar, but ours didn't come with the battery clip and I ordered the one with the inline plug.  I bought an AC/DC converter from radio shack, that was kind of spendy to hook up to their power input jack.  I think it would be a crap shoot if it works.  The Chinese one a bunch of us bought, seemed to only work for the 1st few people.

I am happy to report that my bike is starting much better when hot now. Went on a good ride this last weekend and it only failed to fire on the first try once.  Much better than before. My CO is set at 13 from a base of 0.

1 person likes this

I just bought a FI tool...looking at using it w/o having to take to a dealer.

Set it at 8 and ride it. See if it helps. Play with it a few weeks. Then send it to me so I can adjust mine for next summer :p

2014 WRR-Totalled

2012 WR450F-Stolen

2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

I just bought a FI tool...looking at using it w/o having to take to a dealer.

do you know if you bought the chinese version of the tool, or the one from India, or Taiwan?  (Those last two are the ebay choices).

do you know if you bought the chinese version of the tool, or the one from India, or Taiwan?  (Those last two are the ebay choices).

I bought one on ebay thru auction bidding...I got a new one for $85.  I'll post a pic when I get it in.  I am nor sure what version it is...it's currently enroute to my house.  The part number is YU-03182.

I bought one on ebay thru auction bidding...I got a new one for $85.  I'll post a pic when I get it in.  I am nor sure what version it is...it's currently enroute to my house.  The part number is YU-03182.

That's a *great* price, I've never seen them offered that cheap.  I hope it works out...

I'm assuming there is the $45 shipping charge?

I'm assuming there is the $45 shipping charge?

Nope...I got it for $75 bidding then the shipping was $10.  I should have it on Tuesday.

Edited by AtomicXRer

Nope...I got it for $75 bidding then the shipping was $10.  I should have it on Tuesday.

I got my Yamaha tool for like $160 used.  Curious if you got the actual tool or one of the knock-offs, and then the question is.. does it work?

There were two new units that came up last week on ebay via auction.  I won one, and  the other one went for $80 w/ free shipping.  The other ones on there now are still on there and they are running double in buy it now price, like $155.  The do come up, just got to be on the look out.  We'll see how it works, but it looks legit.

Edited by AtomicXRer

Ok, I got my FI tool in the mail.  It looks legit (not a knock-off) w/ the description others have given.  Not bad for $85 shipped.  My 2014 has the same warm start issues...pain in the ass.  I will report back after I get the CO read then set.

FIDiagnosticTool_zpsbee9e392.jpg

2 people like this