W85W58

2012 WR450 Starting woes

506 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm in UT and ride at altitude. So, I'm not sure if it's effective at sea level, but it couldn't hurt to try. I don't have to line up the marks on grip I just crack the throttle about an 1/8. As in my previous post on oil, I'm finding that it is starting easier running the Yamalube 0/40 synthetic.

The tolerances on these new bikes are really close.

The more you ride them, the easier they start and shift.

I am only on my second tank of gas and I have noticed about a 50% improvement.

I am at sea level, so altitude may make a big difference.

Does anyone on this site have over 500 miles on his bike yet?

If so what are your experiences.

Edited by 123honus

The tolerances on these new bikes are really close.

The more you ride them, the easier they start and shift.

I am only on my second tank of gas and I have noticed about a 50% improvement.

I am at sea level, so altitude may make a big difference.

Does anyone on this site have over 500 miles on his bike yet?

If so what are your experiences.

I've heard that argument before. Trust me, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm merely searching for answers.

If tight tolerances were the reason my bike doesn't start when hot, then why does it start hot when I pull the cold start knob? The cold start knob doesn't loosen the tolerances.

Again, just looking for a resolution to my problem.

BTW, Yamaha NA, told me over the phone that after 200 miles the starting problems disappear. I've got just over 200...

My 2012 has always started fine when cold.... but was a PITA to start after riding for a while. I took Zuch's advise and took her to the dealership and had them use the 'sniffer' on her. Turns out it was running a little lean at idle so they dropped the idling circuit 2%. This change along with opening the throttle 1 degree (just barely past taking the slack out of the throttle) and now the bike fires first time every time, no matter the location or elevation. It takes a little while to get use to the sweet spot on the throttle opening, but it works great now.

My dealer said the idle adjusting tool is a standard tool that is used on other Yamaha machines as well, so I find it hard to believe that some dealerships actually say they don't have one... ??

Good luck all.

Running the Yamalube 0-40 synthetic has made a difference for me. It starts in clod temps, no problem. Also seems to help with hot starts too because the motor cools down faster. I never thought I would be running 0-40 in anything, but I'm sold now as to it being the best choice for this bike anyway.

My dealer said the idle adjusting tool is a standard tool that is used on other Yamaha machines as well, so I find it hard to believe that some dealerships actually say they don't have one... ??

You're right about the tool. The dealer told me he didn't have it and what he was referring to was the program to hook it up to a computer for analysis. I sat next to him as he tweaked the CO output.

He tried to get the bike dialed in, but was unsuccessful. He basically threw his hands in the air and said it needs to be broken in. He more or less echoed the sentiments of Yamaha NA, when I called them on the phone.

Yamaha NA said over 200 miles the problems go away.

Dealer said over 600 miles the problems go away.

I ran the Shen500 and now have 523 miles on it and still counting...

Changed the oil to MOTUL 300V as per the dealer. His feeling was that it would help my starting issues.

I just took the bike out of the garage. Started on the 4th try (60 deg F, sea level). Starting messing around and ended up stalling it in my driveway. Took 11 tries to get it started.

I love the bike once it's running, but this starting issue is a major PITA! Some people would probably ignore it and just ride... I wish I had their temperment.

I spent a lot of money on the bike and it's been disappointing. I nearly bought a KTM... wish I had now.

I've considered selling it several times and I may do so after I figure out what to replace it with.

Jworth-

Try one thing for me.... after running the bike long enough that its warmed up and doesn't want to restart, open the throttle just enough that the cable just starts to engage and try to start the bike. Yamaha says the hot-start procedure is to match the line on the grip to the line on the throttle housing, but that is just too far. As soon as I found the "sweet" spot on the throttle, my bike fires EVERY time I tap the button. She has 400 some miles along with the FMF and ECU upgrades.

Hopefully this works for you... it has worked for every 2012 WR that has been sold here locally, and the Altitude just doesn't matter, it works everywhere I ride it, so I think there is something to this...

• boise is right on in the case of my hard start situation... just had to find the right amount of throttle to get er to start and if it dont right off..dont keep cranking! it will flood out ...what i do is shut down power for a few seconds then try it again . second time it always starts

Yamalube 0 40 synthetic, it starts excellant now hot or cold, and I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the bike either. Glad I didn't buy a KTM.

Jworth-

Try one thing for me.... after running the bike long enough that its warmed up and doesn't want to restart, open the throttle just enough that the cable just starts to engage and try to start the bike. Yamaha says the hot-start procedure is to match the line on the grip to the line on the throttle housing, but that is just too far. As soon as I found the "sweet" spot on the throttle, my bike fires EVERY time I tap the button. She has 400 some miles along with the FMF and ECU upgrades.

Hopefully this works for you... it has worked for every 2012 WR that has been sold here locally, and the Altitude just doesn't matter, it works everywhere I ride it, so I think there is something to this...

Tried this.

I couldn't get it to work.

It backfired rather loudly. Just to be clear, I twisted the throttle just enough to take the play out and then a little extra. It eventually started, but after 8 - 10 tries after returning the throttle to it original position. I tried several other throttle positions. At one point I thought by reducing the throttle while trying to start might work, but that didn't work out.

I'll continue to try different combinations...

Yamalube 0 40 synthetic, it starts excellant now hot or cold, and I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the bike either. Glad I didn't buy a KTM.

The dealer suggested motul 300v and he didn't sell it. He had on hand the yamalube products. I'm certainly no expert, but his reasons for using it seemed logical. The fact that he actually didn't sell the product I thought gave the product some additional merit. That being said, If things don't change, i'll give the yamalube a try.

Tried this.

I couldn't get it to work.

It backfired rather loudly. Just to be clear, I twisted the throttle just enough to take the play out and then a little extra. It eventually started, but after 8 - 10 tries after returning the throttle to it original position. I tried several other throttle positions. At one point I thought by reducing the throttle while trying to start might work, but that didn't work out.

I'll continue to try different combinations...

Did you wait till the fuel pump shut off before trying each time?

They will not start without fuel pressure to make the injector squirt.

Edited by tomerb

Did you wait till the fuel pump shut off before trying each time?

They will not start without fuel pressure to make the injector squirt.

I did wait until the fuel pump stopped before attempting to start.

I might check the valves again today. They were within spec the last time I checked, but that was several hundred miles ago.

if everything above wont work then the only way you will get it to start when it wont is shut it off..pull out the choke and fire it up

I have a Yamaha WR450F 2012, in Italy the problem is the same, the bike will not turn on and yamaha does not know what to do, but have already checked everything seems ok.

I had 4 WR450F with carb and they were fine, it 's obvious that the problem here is the injection system.

Does anyone have an e-mail to a technical yamaha japan to write to?

YAMAHA!! Where are you?!.

Schizz

After i've had the bike started and running it always fires back up by just applying the slightest amount of throttle (after having the fuel adjusted down 2% at idle).

Now, having said that.... when the bike has been sitting for some time, I have not found a way to start it with the push button no matter what combination of things I have tried. So... I just kick start it, and it always fires on the first or second kick. At least at that point I'm still in the parking lot and not tired and trying to kick start it on a steep hill in the boondocks after having just dumped it on its side....

I'm really surprised that Yamaha let these bikes leave the factory without a solid starting mechanism.... pretty shitty deal.

The GYT-R kit solves all the starting problems...

Do you have one?? It sure as hell didn't help mine.

1 person likes this

You have to make sure the filters pre and post fuel pump are spotless, then use the mapping too to change the af ratios to a more reasonable level.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheAirborneCheese
      I live in northwest Virginia (Charlottesville area)  about an hour south of DC, I am not aware of any tracks in the area that are either public (or private but allow people to ride with permission).  Does anyone know of any good tracks in my area?
      - Airborne
    • By Preston C.
      Hello,
      For this summer, I was looking for a project. As a desert/trial, and occasionally single track rider from Southern California, any time of the year works for a build like this.
      I grew up riding two-stroke and after a couple years on four strokes, I want to return to the enduro king. However, KTM and Husky sell their bikes for quite a high price tag.
      So, I have decided I want to take an older two stroke motocross bike i.e. cr250, yz250, etc., and make it the ultimate desert bike for significantly less than a new KTM.
      I am not loyal to one brand, but I have always loved Honda and spent a grand a month ago on all new gear with Honda's name plastered all over it. 
      I know all the mods I want to do the bikes to make them enduro/desert ready: heavy flywheel, 18 inch rear wheel, new exhaust, steering stabilizer, etc.
      What I need help in is I don't know what bikes I can install a wide ratio transmission in. I know yz250 can take a 400 or 426 transmission, but can any other brand?
      I would like to see a cr250 with the gears of a 450x rippin through the desert. I like the steel frame for off road use, and I just need some advice on the best bike for this conversion.
      Thanks
    • By scr200
      For sale is my 2007 YZ250F. This bike is very well setup for trails or harescrambles. I am not the original owner, but have service records. This bike has been well maintained and runs great. Starts first or second kick. Engine and transmission rebuilt about 10hrs ago and I just did a valve clearance check and shim. There are over $3000 worth of parts on this bike. I also have a couple boxes of OEM and aftermarket spares that I will sell for extra. Only issues are a leaky left fork seal (I have the OEM fork seal replacement kit and will include with purchase) and the radiators are slightly twisted, but 100% functional. I have two brand new replacement radiators with a radiator guard/brace that I can throw in if sold at asking price. I am asking $3200 OBO. Please contact me via email in Craigslist ad or PM me here. Located in Fishersville, VA.
      https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/mcy/6138892312.html

Engine: (rebuild @ 39.5hrs)
      -HotCam Stage 2 cams
      -Hot Rods crank (factory stroke)
      -New seals
      -Polished & deburred gears
      -Cylinder works top-end @ 13.5:1 compression ratio
      -Cylinder head ported and polished
      -New OEM valves and springs

Bike:
      -GPR V4 Pro Kit stabilizer and top Triple Clamp 
      -Rekluse Core 3.0 clutch
      -Excel rims front and rear w/ 18" rear rim
      -Dr.D full SS exhaust and silencer
      -Dual Sport Armory suspension rebuilt Spring 2016 and setup for 205lb rider w/ gear
      -GYTR skid plate
      -ASV un-breakable levers
      -CV4 radiator hoses
      -Tusk oversized radiators
      -IMS oversized gas tank
      -Hammerhead +10 shift lever
      -Hammerhead billet brake lever
      -Ride Engineering axle blocks
      -Tusk magnetic oil drain plug
      -Works Connection brake reservoir cover
      -TM DesignWorks chain guide and roller
      -Race Tech shock spring 
      -Acerbis front rotor guard
      -Rear rotor guard
      -Pro Taper handelbars
      -Cyra Pro Bend hand guards
      -G2 Ergonomics threaded bar insert
      -Motion Pro throttle and clutch cables
      -JD Jet Kit
      -Dr.D Wet Sump kit
      -Unknown brand taller seat
      -More on the bike that I've forgotten to mention

Full disclosure, here is a thread about some issues I had with the bike, but have fixed. The bike is running great now due to the help on this forum: 

• By Bryan Bosch
      Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rider Tops Podium in Belo Horizonte

May 21, 2017 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – With the four-day event cut short after day two due to environmental concerns beyond the event organisers’ control, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Graham Jarvis has been declared the winner of the 2017 edition of Minas Riders having ended day two as the overall leader.

Jarvis entered the second edition of the Brazilian race determined to start things off with a victory. Ending a rain-soaked prologue as runner-up, he then went on the attack when the race entered the mountains for the first off-road day.
      Pushing hard throughout the five-hour plus opening day of hard enduro racing, the Husqvarna rider claimed a three-minute margin of victory to establish an early lead. Maintaining his position at the head of the field with second on day one, Jarvis was holding a two-minute buffer over his nearest rival Cody Webb as the race entered its second half.

But with days three and four cancelled, Jarvis unexpectedly found himself as the early winner of the 2017 edition of the Brazilian Hard Enduro Rally.
      With victory in Brazil, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider now looks to add one more victory to his 2017 campaign at Austria’s ErzbergRodeo in June.

Final Classification — Red Bull Minas Riders 2017
      1. Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna) 5:46:47 
      2. Cody Webb (KTM) 5:49:29
      3. Alfredo Gomez (KTM) 6:03:51
      4. Philipp Scholz (KTM) 6:15:01
      5. Paul Bolton (KTM) 6:37:28
      6. Pol Tarres (Beta) 6:52:57
      Husqvarna Motorcycles. Tradition on two wheels since 1903.
      Husqvarna Motorcycles are widely known and respected in the off-road world for a heritage of competition and numerous motocross and enduro world championships. Originally founded in Sweden in 1903, Husqvarna Motorcycles have been designed and manufactured in Mattighofen, Austria since 2013.
      Rockstar Energy Drink
      Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
      Source: Husqvarna Motorcycles GmbH
    • By Krannie McKranface
      This current fad of people going all ga-ga over KTM motorcyles is hilarious.

Over priced, under engineered 'fashion' statement motorcycles are duping people left and right into this fake engineering game.

Iv'e seen this same thing before with cars: Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghit, etc, etc.

Create a really stunning 'hook' of a machine, that everyone wants to own, then sell enough to figure out how to keep them from blowing up, and falling apart, hopefully by the next model year or two.

Oh, don't get me wrong....Mercedes does make some really great cars. But MOST of the cars they make are not so hot.  They are poorly designed, over priced, and un-reliable.  Same with the other euro manufactuers. Fiat make several really great cars, like the 500. But all the rest are just garbage commerce.

This is EXACTLY what KTM is doing. 

Throw 15 different models on the market, all based on old technology, but with shiny billet parts, or ultra-impressive specs, and see what happens.

KTM is providing their customers with sub-standard quality and engineering on dozens of levels, selling it as 'high-tech' and then ignoring all the issues with oil starvation, throttle bodies, frames, triple clamps, shock mounts, CDI's, bars, brakes, rims, hubs, all failing, braking wearing out extremely fast, or in the case of motor internals, make them to such terrible tolerances that you cannot change broken parts with new parts, unless you buy the matching case it was machined to.

I have never seen or experienced such CRAP sold as a premium brand in my life, accept Audi in the 90's and Maico in the 80's. 

I've owned (2) 2012 KTM's that both failed on several levels, that the KTM factory, KTM usa and my dealer could not resolve. 
      I even had KTM USA tell me 'that's just the way it is with new bikes sometimes. We don't have an answer to your problem, sorry". 

My dealer was so frustrated that they now refuse to work on any KTM that has been modifed in the suspension, electronics, or motor, period, even out of warranty.
      They also will not replace any internal motor parts below the piston without replacing the entire motor, no exceptions.

Yeah I know: ..... " My KTM is great, I've never had a problem with it" .  Well good for you. You are in the 50% that actually get a 'good' one.

Did you know that until recently  (2010) KTM would and did make as many as 6 different gasket sets for one model of motor, depending on what portion of the year it was made? They actually look up gasket kits by serial number, because the factory produced a motor with so many flaws and failures that they had to upgrade the motor in the production line 6 times in one year....rather than just get it right and then push it on the general public. 

I talked to an KTM partially sponsered Enduro team at a D36 race in 2012 about KTM reliability, and this is what they told me:

" Oh, we get 50-75 hours out of the factory motor, no problem. They run great, most of the time. Not quite as long as the Yamaha we used to run, but they are Ok. The real problem comes when we try to rebuild them. We cannot get a rebuilt motor to last 1/2 as long as a new one, because there are so many parts in the KTM motors that are stressed at 100% from day one, that the whole motor, not just the top end, wears out very fast". We try not to rebuild the motors, we just sell off the whole bike and start over with a new one."

Hopefully, honest, non-Germanic companies like Beta and Sherco will take some of KTM's market share away.

Long die KTM.