W85W58

2012 WR450 Starting woes

506 posts in this topic

I got both of these,laptop and another but i cannot connect to ecu.I have competition ecu.Mayde EU model is differend.

thirdcoaster I got mine today and it says and does the same thing yours is.  Since the cheap connector is not 100% the same as the ECU I wonder the pins are not aligning up correctly.

thirdcoaster I got mine today and it says and does the same thing yours is. Since the cheap connector is not 100% the same as the ECU I wonder the pins are not aligning up correctly.

Hopefully the problem is just the connection, have you checked the continuity of the wires from the d-sub connector to the bike plug?

Out of interest if you open up the fi tools case what version is printed on the circuit board (between the mode and down buttons), mine is MOTO_V11.

I

I know this may sound stupid and I don't mean to offend anyone, but have you plugged it in to the bike the wrong way round, I just tried it then and it is possible to do.

The fi diagnostic tool should have the large catch on the same side as the catch on the bikes plug like this1383966038352.jpg

Hey all, after that last post about plugging it in the right way, I hooked up the fi tool and guess what no connection!

So I got a flat blade screwdriver and pushed the pins down so they are level with the bottom of the recess where they protrude like this 1383967010903.jpg

And what do you know it works again.

1 person likes this

Great info Boston! Mine is supposed to show up any day now, so I will make sure to check the pins if i'm not getting any connection.

Hey all, after that last post about plugging it in the right way, I hooked up the fi tool and guess what no connection!

So I got a flat blade screwdriver and pushed the pins down so they are level with the bottom of the recess where they protrude like this attachicon.gif1383967010903.jpg

And what do you know it works again.

I notice same thing,those pins go inside a easy,but no lucky get it to work.Its flashing warning light and waiting connection.

I notice same thing,those pins go inside a easy,but no lucky get it to work.Its flashing warning light and waiting connection.

If this happens to mine, I will cut off the plug that comes with the diagnostic tool, and solder on small alligator clips, so I can clip directly onto the pins inside the Yamaha ECU plug and ensure that there is a good solid connection.

If it does indeed end up being the crappy Chinese plug, then I will build an adapter that uses the end from the GYTR tuner to ALSO connect the diagnostic tool. At least we all know the GYTR plug works.

That sounds like there's a broken wire or maybe a dry solder joint on the circuit board, do you have a multimeter that you can use to test it?

That sounds like there's a broken wire or maybe a dry solder joint on the circuit board, do you have a multimeter that you can use to test it?

I opened that box but i didnt found anything,and now i connect it again and now it works.It must be bad connection on that 9 pin plug.

I tight it a bit and now it works.

I opened that box but i didnt found anything,and now i connect it again and now it works.It must be bad connection on that 9 pin plug.

I tight it a bit and now it works.

That's good that you got it working,

When I first received mine it needed the female d_sub (9 pin connector) on the unit pushed down so the cable could seat, the plastic housing was catching it.

Some update,now i can connect it but cant change anything.When i go C1 adjust it gives CX 127.adjusting wont change if i press  up or down.If someone know how to get that laptop version to work it helps.

Or forgot these and i find somewhere that yamaha tool.

Edited by wr4502012
1 person likes this

Some update,now i can connect it but cant change anything.When i go C1 adjust it gives CX 127.adjusting wont change if i press up or down.If someone know how to get that laptop version to work it helps.

Or forgot these and i find somewhere that yamaha tool.

Sounds like it's time to send it back and get a replacement.

Update...my circuit board version is MOTO_V11 so that is encouraging. A basic continuity check indicates that the cables are good and yes, I had the bike's connector plugged in right. I tweaked the 3 pins to be sure of good contact and......"connecting....." continues. Maybe throwing it down the driveway would help? LOL

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Fortunately, the only starting issue I have is having to hit the starter button 3 times on every cold start, hot start is just a touch of the button.

Update...my circuit board version is MOTO_V11 so that is encouraging. A basic continuity check indicates that the cables are good and yes, I had the bike's connector plugged in right. I tweaked the 3 pins to be sure of good contact and......"connecting....." continues. Maybe throwing it down the driveway would help? LOL

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Fortunately, the only starting issue I have is having to hit the starter button 3 times on every cold start, hot start is just a touch of the button.

My problem was starting in hot when i buy this bike,i removed start and drive almost year whitout it.Now i replaced piston ja chain and put startmotor back.Now it wont start hot or gold.But it starts easy first or second kick.

It's a shame there seems to be such a high DOA on the fi diagnosis tools. China still has a way to go it seems.

Are you going to seek a replacement?

My bike was the exact opposite of yours, it would fire almost every time cold with the cold start button, but get some heat into it and all bets were off.

I received the scanner this week and just got done trying to use it. It turns on but it will not connect.

I decided to stop by the Yamaha dealer again because of the aggravation, to see if they could or would adjust the fuel at idle. They never would tell me if they could adjust the idle fuel. They were essentially unwilling to take my money to adjust the low idle fuel only.

With the high failure rate of the Chinese fi diagnostic tools, I had a look around at the genuine Yamaha fi diagnostic tool, the part number is 90890-03182, some times shown as 90890-03182-00, it can be yours for about USD $155 off eBay.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the right plug, but this can be solved with either making a patch lead with the two plug styles on each end or simply replace the end with the right one.

The connectors can be bought from a website called eastern beaver (no it's not one of those sites).

As far as I can tell the Yamaha fi tool has the same colour wires to the plug as the GYTR tuner so getting the pin out right should be straight forward.1384045211850.jpg1384045231005.jpg1384045247951.jpg

1 person likes this

Once again, nice work Boston. At least those of us that bought the Chinese POS will have a plug that we can use for the Yamaha unit.

Maybe we should split the price and just send this from person to person? Once the adjustment is made, it shouldn't need to be tweaked again.... right?

1 person likes this