HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyK

Aftermarket guards?????

7 posts in this topic

I'm just thinking ahead, do these bikes really need any additional guards? IE radiator braces etc?

I will drop the bike. I'm way out of practice

I run a bunch of guards:

Works Connection radiator braces which are light and seem to do a great job in protecting them during a tip over.

Moose (rebadged Utah Sport Cycle) skid plate instead of the plastic OEM one, it is the bomb :) I have hit BIG things with it and it just takes it.

Moose Hand Guards or "bark busters" which both save you hands in the woods if you misjudge but also save levers.

Works Connection Caliper guard, broke the OEM plastic one so I went aluminum.

Works Connection Frame guards, the screws in my Sidi Force Flex SRS boots were starting to rub on the frame so I picked up these. The Left one is great, the right one needs to be about 2" taller to match the left.

Summers Racing Kiwi Case saver, lighter than stock, more coverage, and it looks cool.

OEM Shark fin and chain guide because I have not destroyed them yet.

I would say on the whole a good skid plate and some radiator braces is where I would start, and then add other stuff as you tear up stuff. And if you ride in the woods some good hand guards, the OEM flags seem to work OK for the wide open spaces of the desert.

Just my $.02 :D

Guards are a cheap investment compared to replacing parts. Here is what I have:

Berg carbon fork guards

Baja Designs skid plate

Baja Designs shark fin

Devol radiator guards

Devol front disc guard

SRC Kiwi case saver

SRC fork brace, mudskins, and fork guards

Tusk D-Flex bark busters

Works Connection frame guards

That should add a couple of pounds to the pig or maybe it is more like a M1A2 Abrahams Tank!

Good ? I don't beleive in going to overboard bracing these bikes up. I have radiator guards but don't use them because the plastic ones work well for sticks the radiators take a huge amount of abuse before they break anyway. I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars. I like the stock skid plate because it is light. The aftermarket ones can be very noisy. The stock one also slides along the ground better in a crash. I would save your money and buy a steering stabalizer instead. :)

Good ? I don't beleive in going to overboard bracing these bikes up. I have radiator guards but don't use them because the plastic ones work well for sticks the radiators take a huge amount of abuse before they break anyway. I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars. I like the stock skid plate because it is light. The aftermarket ones can be very noisy. The stock one also slides along the ground better in a crash. I would save your money and buy a steering stabalizer instead. :) P.S. I crash all the time your riding hard enough if you don't I haven't bent any discs my radiatiors are molded nicely to the bike. I do break levers once in a while though.

I like the stock Honda handguards becouse I don't have to worry about getting my wrists broken If I were to get hung up going over the bars.

Hmmm... funny you should mention that! I have Tusk DeFlex hand guards on my XR650R and I took a little dirt nap last Sunday. The X-rays showed no sign of a break but man, my left hand and wrist got tweezed! :D Did you know that chicks dig Ace bandages??? :)