BACK ON A 4-STROKE....2007YZ450F

Truth is,at 50 years old and 240 pounds,the 450 is just easier to ride than my beloved 05 YZ250.Which I have put SSS suspension on,GYTR heavier flywheel,V-Force 3 reeds,and an FMF Fatty.Along with Flexx bars, UFO Restyled plastics and a new,custom 200 dollar graphics kit!!!All within the last year!A month ago, a friend asked if I'd like to buy his Dad's 07 450,low hour,trail ridden bike at a very reasonable price.....so I did.I fell in love with it immediately.The power on my 250 2-Stroke was still pretty frightening,even with my mods.My number one factor in liking the 4-stroke is the ease,stability,and tracking while coming out of a corner and over a jump.The 250 throttle was still just too twitchy to me.(I ride Motocross,and the local track is pretty gnarly!).However,I did have a horrible experience with an 06 YZ450 a couple of years ago....2 total catastrophic grenades within a year(which is why I got the 2stroke to begin with),so I wanted to make sure my new 07 was fresh and ready to go.While putting in a new top end,my mechanic friend noticed that the lining on the cylinder had a couple of tiny chips in the lining of it,with a bit of scoring on the walls,so I've decided to get a new cylinder,and my question is........should I spend the $275.00 on a brand new OEM,or get a remanufactured,re NICOM coated cylinder from US CHROME for 160.00 after I get $50.00 back from mailing them my old cylinder????Any thoughts?? Thanks alot!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having your cylinder re-coated from one of the well known shops like US Chrome, Powerseal USA, etc. However, being that they're $257 from Motosport and they currently have 2 in stock, that's the only route my patience would allow me to go. Don't forget to get a couple pins while you're at it, just in case (item 26 x 2ea). You can also take advantage of the TT price guarantee, which I think works out to $251, though it wouldn't be worth that $6 if you had to wait an additional 1-2 weeks because they don't have it on hand, but I digress....

Thanks,corndog.The recoated one from USCHROME will ship immediately,and then I send them mine.But I think I will spend the extra cash and get a new OEM,and I think my local shop will match Motosports 257.00.What are the ,"Pins" you're referring to? Also,would it be wise to get a new timing chain while I'm at it?Thanks!

Thanks,corndog.The recoated one from USCHROME will ship immediately,and then I send them mine.But I think I will spend the extra cash and get a new OEM,and I think my local shop will match Motosports 257.00.What are the ,"Pins" you're referring to? Also,would it be wise to get a new timing chain while I'm at it?Thanks!

Do the chain while you have it apart. They are inexpensive and easy to do as long as you have a flywheel puller.

Thanks,corndog,for the Motosport tip.Cylinder and timing chain are on their way.My local shop would not match the price(Hey,I gave them a shot at it!).Contemplating some ebay chinese radiators,but I may just get my slightly tweaked left side rad fixed.Oh........and thanks for wading through my novella to actually find my question!Looks like I'm gonna be on my YZ250 this weekend,though.Ring-a-ding-ding!!!!