Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dvs_in10t

05 450 project

15 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying this is probably going to be a slow project.

I sold my DRZ400SM after deciding I needed a lighter bike for track days. I found this 05 yz450f

IMG-20120725-00012.jpg

It's missing the top end, but the price was right. Now it's time to start selling some parts I've got sitting around from other bikes so I can afford to buy parts for this one. Obviously the first things I'll need to get is a cylinder, piston, and head to try and get it running. Once it's up and running I'll start 'tarding it.

I don't know much about these bikes, so feel free to make any comments, suggestions, tips, warnings, or other bits of advise, especially if its about where to get cheap parts.

Edited by dvs_in10t

Picked up a new big bore kit and a used head w/ hot cams , all for/off an 06 YFZ450. From what I've figured out, I think all I need to do is get the right piston, and everything else will work.

IMG-20120731-00040.jpg

IMG-20120731-00038.jpg

Not much progress, other than getting a few more parts in:

- got the correct piston

- found a deal on a CRF front brake assembly

- Bought some SME sliders before they're all gone

- Shift hooked me up with a rear 17x4.25 hoop

- picked up a 17x3.5 hoop for the front over on SMJ

and a few other misc parts. Still need a spoke kit, tires, and a few other random items, but most of it can wait until after I get the bike running.

Well I went to start assembling the top end and dropped a snap ring into the motor :rant: I should have known better, and had a rag there... anyway I pulled the bottom end out, inverted it, and gave it a few good shakes. Kind of glad I had to do it now. This is some of what came out, a few hints at what happened to the original top end:

IMG-20120818-00147.jpg

Also I realized a few other pieces were missing, like a dowel pin for the cylinder and the coil stick. Those have been ordered, and when they get here I'll give another attempt to assembling the motor.

Edited by dvs_in10t

looks like a fun project. ive been wanting a sumo for along time.

Do it! they're a riot :ride:

About got the motor together:

IMG-20120916-00235.jpg

realized I'm missing a couple more bits of hardware, which should be here in a few days

got everything I need to build the wheels:

IMG-20120822-00174.jpg

IMG-20120908-00210.jpg

IMG-20120916-00242.jpg

Going to wait to build the wheels until after I get it running, since there's a couple local places I can run it in the dirt to do any tuning that may be needed.

I have an 05 as well but I also have an 06. I also have 2 bigbore kits for the 05. I wanted to put one of them on the 06 but was told it wouldn't work - cases are different so the cylinder isn't the same. Are you sure you got an 06 bigbore kit?

Small update... like I said, this is a slow project...

I picked up a couple extra OE hubs and the wife helped me assemble the wheels:

IMG_20121018_184337_323.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy pics, my new phone has inconsistent pic quality)

IMG_20121018_215547_810.jpg

I've got the back wheel pretty much trued, still need to do the front.

Got the cams in, the motor together, and just recently set it back in the frame

IMG_20121117_092657_759.jpg

I've got the carb apart and soaking. I'll finish cleaning it, and put it back together this weekend. I also got a few front (13, 14, 15) and rear (40, 43) sprockets.

On a side note: 15 weeks later I got the Gaerne Motard boots I ordered:

IMG_20121115_182051_187.jpg

Coming along nicely, I love working on a project. My favorite part is the first startup. I need a girl that likes to get there hands dirty, F-ING AWESOME!

Thanks. It'd be nice if she did a bit more, or was even semi-interested... unfortunately the only reason she put the wheel together was she wanted me to do something else...

I've hit a bit of a snag. The water outlet on the yzf head is different. You can see it coming straight out in the above picture. The yz-f pipe has a 90 in it. It's times like this when I wish the bike came with the trashed top end. Good thing I've got more to assemble while I wait for the right part to come in.

you should have pulled the bottom apart and cleaned out the thrashed piston that fell down there,you might be in for a big surprise once you get it running.

youre gonna wish you had a 5sp for SM tracks. then again, i guess it depends on the track. gear it really tall and maybe itll be ok.

ive built a 400, 426, and now an 08 450 for SM. all fun bikes. i skipped the 4speeders. lol.

scroll down:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/357935-pics-of-your-06-09-yzf-450/page__st__100

ironically, i used the hoops from my old DRZ400 and built up the Yz's wheels, then put gold hoops on my DRZ. the wheels fit all the YZs i had, so i just kept them as i switched bikes.

lookin good though.

you should have pulled the bottom apart and cleaned out the thrashed piston that fell down there,you might be in for a big surprise once you get it running.

Well it's a bit late for that now. The crank spun freely, and didn't have any play to be worried about. I could see the and hear the bits that fell out. If there's any chunks left in there, they aren't moving around. Guess we will find out when it gets fired up :devil:

youre gonna wish you had a 5sp for SM tracks. then again, i guess it depends on the track. gear it really tall and maybe itll be ok.

ive built a 400, 426, and now an 08 450 for SM. all fun bikes. i skipped the 4speeders. lol.

scroll down:

http://www.thumperta...0/page__st__100

ironically, i used the hoops from my old DRZ400 and built up the Yz's wheels, then put gold hoops on my DRZ. the wheels fit all the YZs i had, so i just kept them as i switched bikes.

lookin good though.

The kart track I run at VIR is pretty tight. I don't know that I'll miss a 5th gear on it. The only reason I went with this bike is it was cheap (for good reason) and I wanted a Yamaha. We'll see how I like it.